ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing cable ramps  (Read 2611 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Securing cable ramps
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 06:35:00 AM »

I have never had a problem with cable ramps sliding around but if I did I would try using grip tape taped to a few spots on the bottom (towards the center) so the ruff side would be in contact with the asphalt in this situation.

I could be wrong but I also think if someone were to bump into it in such a way as to make it slide I think they might me less likely to trip and fall. But if you secure the cable ramps then there is no give and it is more likely that if someone were to bump into it and it didn’t move at all that person is more likely to fall over. This is actually from personal experience. The only time I fell when tripping on something was when it didn’t move. I tripped on a stage brake that was left in the wrong position and it just grabbed my foot and down I went.

I started this thread... but will say that cable ramps become an increasingly large trip hazard the more people are concentrated in the area where the ramps are.  I don't use ramps for that reason.  I've tripped over them at events where I was concentrating on things around me (due to the crowd), rather than below me (where I was walking).
 Though, I need ramps for areas where mostly vehicular traffic is present (and I do know that people will be present in the same area, but possibly not has concentrated as it would be directly in front of the stage; i.e. people may be more aware of the ramps if they can see them). 

My cable covers for crowded areas are rubber runners/mats (12" wide x 4' long) taped down on each side -left/right - (with yellow/black tape) the full length of the run.  The height of the cable and runner is just under 1 1/4", compared to about 2 1/2" to 3" height for ramps.  As mentioned before, the ramps I'm needing are more for vehicular traffic than pedestrian.

I fell for the first time in many years last year.  The operator did't put the lift gate down the last 2" so I was at a quick walk (for a 58 year old) and then dead stopped..  I was shocked how fae the items in my hand traveled.  I was totaly helpless to arrest my fall saved my shoulder but ending up hitting my face and knocking two teeth out along with a big shiner

Damn!  Did you end up falling on the gate? 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 07:51:54 AM »

I started this thread... but will say that cable ramps become an increasingly large trip hazard the more people are concentrated in the area where the ramps are.  I don't use ramps for that reason.  I've tripped over them at events where I was concentrating on things around me (due to the crowd), rather than below me (where I was walking).
 Though, I need ramps for areas where mostly vehicular traffic is present (and I do know that people will be present in the same area, but possibly not has concentrated as it would be directly in front of the stage; i.e. people may be more aware of the ramps if they can see them). 

My cable covers for crowded areas are rubber runners/mats (12" wide x 4' long) taped down on each side -left/right - (with yellow/black tape) the full length of the run.  The height of the cable and runner is just under 1 1/4", compared to about 2 1/2" to 3" height for ramps.  As mentioned before, the ramps I'm needing are more for vehicular traffic than pedestrian.

Damn!  Did you end up falling on the gate?

It was a ground level dock, I hit the concrete face first. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »

Yeah, the budget ramps seem to do fine with pedestrian traffic. In fact, I've noticed that, when people see them, many try to step OVER, not ON them. Suppose that's Sociology thesis material.

I have had no luck whatsoever when vehicles drive over them. They skid on concrete and break the locking tabs. Only the big, heavy, rubber ones seem to hold up and then, the wider and flatter the better. The good news is, the drive lanes should be in limited areas, correct?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 08:29:16 AM »

It was a ground level dock, I hit the concrete face first.
Damn.

Yeah, the budget ramps seem to do fine with pedestrian traffic. In fact, I've noticed that, when people see them, many try to step OVER, not ON them. Suppose that's Sociology thesis material.

I have had no luck whatsoever when vehicles drive over them. They skid on concrete and break the locking tabs. Only the big, heavy, rubber ones seem to hold up and then, the wider and flatter the better. The good news is, the drive lanes should be in limited areas, correct?

Dave

Looks like most of the ramps (budget and otherwise) can support some type of anchoring (even though, anchoring may not be part of their design).  I think it all depends on where you drill the holes!  For most events I do, the drive lanes would be in limited areas and sometimes, during limited times.  The remaining time would be pedestrian traffic and not that much.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 08:29:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.