ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sliders in consoles  (Read 2262 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sliders in consoles
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2021, 10:28:33 am »

Still think this is one of the more epic design fails in Live Audio history. It was really an exceptionally good desk. I believe the Kennedy Center had one out at the millennium stage for a while because I remember mixing on one there. But the fact that it screwed up half a truck pack to bring it on tour killed it. A brilliant example of why you need people who USE your product on your design team.

The fact that all anyone really remembers is that it wouldn't fit into a truck correctly pretty much sums up the problem....  :)

You rope eh', ya keep eh'.

Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas show carried a Europa II about 15 years ago.  All I did was help tip the desk and 8 stagehands removed the lid.  Fitting it in the trailer was someone else's problem.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2021, 05:20:42 pm »

That and the fact that the decision to put a gate in every channel rather than a compressor was apparently based on the fact that the gate required one less IC in the parts count.  ::) 

The Europa came as part of a package and only went out a few times before it went out the door permanently.

There was also an issue with the memory for the mutes and buss assigns. I remember a pack of D cell batteries in the doghouse to provide the RAM backup.
Good times .com

John Fruits

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2021, 05:34:32 pm »

A slight swerve of the slider but I do remember a recording console that had sliding faders BUT it was just before the Neve Flying Faders and each channel strip had a tiny null meter next to the slider and you had to manually move the slider to center the needle for mixdown.  IIRC it was an API console.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2021, 05:34:32 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.