ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic and in ears issues  (Read 1299 times)

John Roll

Wireless mic and in ears issues
« on: April 11, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »

The lead singer for one of the bands I do sound for has been showing up to shows with his wireless mic (Shure BLX4R) and his in ears (Shure PSM300) in separate cases. When I asked him why he did that, he said that there's "interference" when the two units are in the same rack. I don't have an idea yet of what "interference" means, but have any of you heard of issues when these units are in the same rackspace?

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: Wireless mic and in ears issues
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 12:22:35 PM »

The lead singer for one of the bands I do sound for has been showing up to shows with his wireless mic (Shure BLX4R) and his in ears (Shure PSM300) in separate cases. When I asked him why he did that, he said that there's "interference" when the two units are in the same rack. I don't have an idea yet of what "interference" means, but have any of you heard of issues when these units are in the same rackspace?

John

It may be a case of the transmit and receive antennae being too close together when they are in the same rack if he is using the stock whips attached directly to the units. The transit of the iem would be overloading the rf input of the mic receiver.

Alex Cheng

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:55:49 PM »

It may be a case of the transmit and receive antennae being too close together when they are in the same rack if he is using the stock whips attached directly to the units. The transit of the iem would be overloading the rf input of the mic receiver.

Yup, John is right. This can also happen to an extent even if the antennae are remoted purely because the TX/RX section are so physically close to one another, but IIRC that tends to be much less of an issue.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »

It could be overload, it could be desens; either way John is right.

It is best practices to have some separation between IEM TXs and microphone RXs (although there are plenty of working examples of TXs and RXs living together in the same rack), but it's very important to separate the TX and RX antennas.

-Russ

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 01:05:24 AM »

+1 to the above. You have to think of the receiver as being all-seeing eyes. While they operate at X frequency, they still see/hear the entirety of the frequency range they can operate in. So if you have a transmitter in close proximity to a receiver, even if they are not tuned to anything near the same frequency, the receiver will be bombarded by the output of the transmitter. This oversaturation is much like bringing a microphone too close to the antenna of its receiver. It overloads it causing all kinds of fun stuff to happen.

It is all about the noise floor. Within reasonable distances, the receiver can deal with the gain of frequencies it isn't concerned with, but when it is too close to a transmitter that oversaturates it, the game totally changes.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 01:15:32 AM »

The manifestation is likely the AGC/Squelch circuit dumping or being overloaded.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 10:04:11 PM »

If you want to bash your head against the wall just place your receiver near a video distribution hub that has HDMI..... For whatever reason, HDMI and similar formats have all kinds of noise that will make a mess of your RF stability and diversity.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 10:59:31 PM »

If you want to bash your head against the wall just place your receiver near a video distribution hub that has HDMI..... For whatever reason, HDMI and similar formats have all kinds of noise that will make a mess of your RF stability and diversity.

Yes!

Besides space between the Tx/Rx antennas - what about quality wireless?  It's hard to pity people that complain about the crappy gear they purchased.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:50:45 PM »

Yes!

Besides space between the Tx/Rx antennas - what about quality wireless?  It's hard to pity people that complain about the crappy gear they purchased.

Entry level gear, combined with clueless technical implementation could be a problem (or 3)?  Say it ain't so, Caleb!

Over the years I've "fixed" a some bottom end wireless systems by taking care of the line of sight problems users seem determined to create for themselves.  A couple weeks or months later they want to know why their wireless (now that it's working consistently) sounds bad.

Wireless mics are one of the gear categories where one gets what one pays for, and nothing more.  The subjective sound quality is a matter of managing expectations and is why I'd rather have a wired mic whenever practical.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:50:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 24 queries.