ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's legal nowadays with Purchasing/playing mp3's?  (Read 3047 times)

Mike Henderson

What's legal nowadays with Purchasing/playing mp3's?
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:07:50 AM »

Hey guys, I have been finding different info on the net regarding the purchasing and playing of mp3's. Last I had heard is the RIAA says one cannot play mp3's for public events?

Also, do you get legal music when purchasing music from Record Pools? If not, how can someone even a non-DJ quickly build a collection purchasing legal music please?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:13:29 AM by Mike Henderson »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: What's legal nowadays with Purchasing/playing mp3's?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 04:25:33 PM »

It’s a somewhat complicated situation without a clear cut answer.

If playing for a public event, you MUST secure rights for playback. Most music is covered by either ASCAP or BMI.

Generally speaking, the venue is the one that secures this. It gets a little more complicated if the venue is temporary or if they do not regularly host events.

Additionally, if it is a private event, you may be able to present an argument against needing to pay the fees.

Regarding gaining access to a music library, that doesn’t seem to have changed much over the years. While the agreement within services such as iTunes may say it can’t be used for commercial purposes, there really is no true avenue available for DJs to get the music.

It would be neat if there was an option, but until there is, you’ll have to get it where you can.
Brian Jojade

Mike Henderson

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »

While the agreement within services such as iTunes may say it can’t be used for commercial purposes, there really is no true avenue available for DJs to get the music.

It would be neat if there was an option, but until there is, you’ll have to get it where you can.

Thx. So then all of the record pools online which claim their music is legal and with membership one can download any amount of music, is this truly legal?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:54 PM »

Thx. So then all of the record pools online which claim their music is legal and with membership one can download any amount of music, is this truly legal?

Getting the music is legal. Playing the music out and about constitutes a public performance and requires a license. ASCAP has a blanket license program, and there was another service that specifically catered to what you're asking that popped up a while back, but I can't find it now.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:17:12 PM »

If playing for a public event, you MUST secure rights for playback. Most music is covered by either ASCAP or BMI.

I've heard that Global Music Rights was sending preemptive letters to a bunch of places to establish their rights.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »

Getting the music is legal. Playing the music out and about constitutes a public performance and requires a license.

Ah I see. I was very skeptical about record pools but I can look into it now, thanks!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:59:23 PM »

Ah I see. I was very skeptical about record pools but I can look into it now, thanks!

As someone who was a record pool member back when actual records were used to DJ, the pools were a way for artists to get pre-release singles, generally with special remixes including dubs, a capellas and extended mixes; out to club DJ's and such to build a fan base.

I can't imagine joining a record pool these days, since dance music is readily available digitally.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:59:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.