Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

What's legal nowadays with Purchasing/playing mp3's?

(1/2) > >>

Mike Henderson:
Hey guys, I have been finding different info on the net regarding the purchasing and playing of mp3's. Last I had heard is the RIAA says one cannot play mp3's for public events?

Also, do you get legal music when purchasing music from Record Pools? If not, how can someone even a non-DJ quickly build a collection purchasing legal music please?

Brian Jojade:
It’s a somewhat complicated situation without a clear cut answer.

If playing for a public event, you MUST secure rights for playback. Most music is covered by either ASCAP or BMI.

Generally speaking, the venue is the one that secures this. It gets a little more complicated if the venue is temporary or if they do not regularly host events.

Additionally, if it is a private event, you may be able to present an argument against needing to pay the fees.

Regarding gaining access to a music library, that doesn’t seem to have changed much over the years. While the agreement within services such as iTunes may say it can’t be used for commercial purposes, there really is no true avenue available for DJs to get the music.

It would be neat if there was an option, but until there is, you’ll have to get it where you can.

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on April 11, 2021, 04:25:33 PM ---While the agreement within services such as iTunes may say it can’t be used for commercial purposes, there really is no true avenue available for DJs to get the music.

It would be neat if there was an option, but until there is, you’ll have to get it where you can.

--- End quote ---

Thx. So then all of the record pools online which claim their music is legal and with membership one can download any amount of music, is this truly legal?

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on April 12, 2021, 07:32:09 AM ---Thx. So then all of the record pools online which claim their music is legal and with membership one can download any amount of music, is this truly legal?

--- End quote ---

Getting the music is legal. Playing the music out and about constitutes a public performance and requires a license. ASCAP has a blanket license program, and there was another service that specifically catered to what you're asking that popped up a while back, but I can't find it now.

Patrick Tracy:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on April 11, 2021, 04:25:33 PM ---If playing for a public event, you MUST secure rights for playback. Most music is covered by either ASCAP or BMI.
--- End quote ---

I've heard that Global Music Rights was sending preemptive letters to a bunch of places to establish their rights.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version