ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pickup Truck With Massive HAM Radio Antenna Clipping my Soun System!  (Read 3745 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Pickup Truck With Massive HAM Radio Antenna Clipping my Soun System!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 04:32:31 AM »

It might not be a radio causing interference. A hot rod I had would make TV's go crazy when i pulled up in driveways. The high performance ignition system and non resistor spark plugs were probably causing the problem. When I got a different hot rod with a different ignition systenm the problem went away. Also the cell fone charger I have in my truck makes my AM radio go crazy when I plug it in. Also a defective CB radio or hot rodded CB radio can only cause interference when the mic is keyed up.

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 09:38:28 AM »

It might not be a radio causing interference. A hot rod I had would make TV's go crazy when i pulled up in driveways. The high performance ignition system and non resistor spark plugs were probably causing the problem. When I got a different hot rod with a different ignition systenm the problem went away. Also the cell fone charger I have in my truck makes my AM radio go crazy when I plug it in. Also a defective CB radio or hot rodded CB radio can only cause interference when the mic is keyed up.

Jeff,

I doubt this is the issue in this case. Since I live at a busy downtown intersection, all kinds of vehicles pass by my window regularly and frequently, from a Ferrari to an 18-wheeler and nothing of this sort has ever happened before this particular pickup truck.

Could this burst be occurring as he leaves and maybe "checks in"? I'm not exactly sure what the common practice is over the airwaves.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 12:23:36 PM »

Jeff,

I doubt this is the issue in this case. Since I live at a busy downtown intersection, all kinds of vehicles pass by my window regularly and frequently, from a Ferrari to an 18-wheeler and nothing of this sort has ever happened before this particular pickup truck.

Could this burst be occurring as he leaves and maybe "checks in"? I'm not exactly sure what the common practice is over the airwaves.
"XM-2384 reporting 10-8" XNZ-45 was the base station, on a private frequency......

My Dad ran the 444 radio division of the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade here in Montreal, and was disaster coordinator for Eastern Canada.
As a kid, I saw some weird shit.....
I was there when the town of Mirabel was leveled by various fire departments, practicing their art on real buildings.
Light it, put it out, light it, put it out. etc...
then a useless international Airport was put there......

In November 1963, just after 6:30 one night, we got a call at the house. Dorval Tower called. They lost a DC-8 near Saint Therese, and wanted him and his guys to go up and see what they could do.
It was a fucking crater.

Chris.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 12:42:48 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »

Alright, so I have an interesting situation.

An idiot blowing out nearby electronics with a ridiculous linear CB amp might actually get some attention from the FCC if you file a complaint.  It's a long shot, but that is actually an important part of their job.  Try to get photos of the vehicle, antenna, and license plate, but be discrete and don't provoke him.  You can attach them to your online complaint filing.  Try to record video with sound of your rig freaking out.  You might ask your neighbors if they're experiencing similar trouble, and if so, encourage them to also file complaints online.  The more who file, the more likely you are to get help.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/filing-informal-complaint
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=38844

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 02:49:10 PM »

Maybe the field office didn't get real involved but they certainly busted the shops.  This is not a grey area.  Some famous operators were busted too.  The folks still selling them are very clever to note they are for 10M operation. 

37cfr95 clearly states:

§ 95.939 External radio frequency power amplifiers prohibited.The operator of a CBRS station must not use an external radio frequency power amplifier to increase the transmitting power of that CBRS station under any circumstances. There are no exceptions to this rule.[/size][/font]
[/size](a) The FCC will presume that the operator of a CBRS station has used an external radio frequency power amplifier in violation of this section if it is in the operator's possession or on the operator's premises and there is other evidence that the CBRS station has been operated with more transmitting power than allowed by § 95.967.[/size]
[/size](b) The operator of a CBRS station must not attach an external radio frequency power amplifier to a certified CBRS transmitter.[/size]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Further:[/color]
[/size][/color]
§ 95.967 CBRS transmitter power limits.[/size]Each CBRS transmitter type must be designed such that the transmitter power can not exceed the following limits:[/size]
[/size](a) When transmitting amplitude modulated (AM) voice signals, the mean carrier power must not exceed 4 Watts.[/size]
[/size](b) When transmitting single sideband (SSB) voice signals, the peak envelope power must not exceed 12 Watts.[/size]
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 07:50:21 PM »

UPDATE:

The truck came back and is currently parked outside, I left a couple friendly post it note on his window. If I see him leaving, I'll run out and have a word.

Pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjbowvwmksm24jm/20210409_191106.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2kmti6w2q19rhs/20210409_191219.jpg?dl=0

Further plot twist:
It appears by the discreet lights hidden in the truck' grill and a testimonial from my neighbor who "recognizes" the truck that this may actually be a police officers private vehicle. I wonder how that changes the situation...

This time he decided to show up while my Powersoft amp rack is out preparing in Armonia+ for a small last minute gig.

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 08:17:48 PM »

UPDATE #2:

He turned out to be a very nice and understanding guy. At first he was hesitant to admit it was CB and said it was HAM, but we ended up having a nice conversation about his rig and I told him what was happening inside my studio. He ended up showing me his rig in the back seat and holy crap, this amplifier was monstrous and more ferrite than I've ever seen at one time in my life. He claimed the system was 15KW RMS and that he communicates with people in Puerto Rico from here in Maryland. He also has a multi $10's of thousands of dollar licensed HAM rig at home and does emergency communication.

So I guess we could have had a worse ending to this story, thank you for all the advice everyone.

Doug

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 09:32:29 PM »

UPDATE #2:

He turned out to be a very nice and understanding guy. At first he was hesitant to admit it was CB and said it was HAM, but we ended up having a nice conversation about his rig and I told him what was happening inside my studio. He ended up showing me his rig in the back seat and holy crap, this amplifier was monstrous and more ferrite than I've ever seen at one time in my life. He claimed the system was 15KW RMS and that he communicates with people in Puerto Rico from here in Maryland. He also has a multi $10's of thousands of dollar licensed HAM rig at home and does emergency communication.

So I guess we could have had a worse ending to this story, thank you for all the advice everyone.

Doug

15kw out of a vehicle?  Was he towing a 15kw generator?  Come on you are smarter than that.  Glad the guy was nice, full of shit, but nice.

Antenna voltage and currents are harder to calculate than audio but figure roughly 800 volts at 17 amps.  Even if he could dead key (that's some of that them thar CB talk) 15kw and source the current that would be one rolling NEEPA violation. 

How about he just stops?  That much power is not going to help him talk a whole lot farther than 300 watts.  Once you get out of line of site you are at the whims of the gods of atmospheric propagation.  Much like audio watts don't matter much!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 09:49:39 PM »

15kw out of a vehicle?  Was he towing a 15kw generator?  Come on you are smarter than that.  Glad the guy was nice, full of shit, but nice.

Antenna voltage and currents are harder to calculate than audio but figure roughly 800 volts at 17 amps.  Even if he could dead key (that's some of that them thar CB talk) 15kw and source the current that would be one rolling NEEPA violation. 

How about he just stops?  That much power is not going to help him talk a whole lot farther than 300 watts.  Once you get out of line of site you are at the whims of the gods of atmospheric propagation.  Much like audio watts don't matter much!

Unfortunately I doubt someone thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars invested into a hobby will just "stop". I wish I had some pictures of the equipment in the back, it was definitely interesting. My first guess was about 400 watts based on the linear amps I saw for sale when I started browsing, but hey I wasn't there to question his rig, but just relieved he wasn't a total asshole!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 10:39:38 PM »

Next time you see the guy, give him a friendly warning that Biden has hired Hillary to track down CB-using patriots, and that they're able to spot high powered CB amplifiers from Chinese satellites.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 10:39:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.