ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Campsite Subwoofer (hobby project)  (Read 2899 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Campsite Subwoofer (hobby project)
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 01:53:47 AM »

You did a real slick job on the back plate and amp board mounting and details such as the remote power speakon are great.  It's always worth it building custom to get exactly what ya want.

Again, nice work.

I had a chance to meet Frank and see a few of his projects, not only does he possess mad technical chops but his construction skills and ability to execute on his ideas are inspiring to say the least!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 03:03:42 AM »

^^^ Absolutely Scott - workmanship is top notch without a doubt.  Always nice to see someone with that skill level showing their work.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:08:17 AM by Steve-White »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 03:08:44 AM »

^^^ Absolutely Scott - Frank's workmanship is top notch without a doubt.  Always nice to see someone with that skill level showing their work.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »

Exactly right! A piece of 1/2 in. hardware cloth held on with a hose clamp. It will keep out rats but maybe not mice. I should make the experiment to see if 1/4 in. has any effect on box Q or makes bad noises at high power near fb. 1/4 in. will keep out mice, so far as I know.

Speaking of rodent problems, is there an uptick in wire insulation eating on vehicles? Two of my friends here in town have recently had major damage. Anecdotal, I know. But there could be more rats/mice, or people are driving less due to Covid, or maybe car manufacturers are using tastier insulation?

--Frank
Definitely an uptick here, but not because the insulation is any tastier in modern vehicles, my '62 f100 and my 41 international got chewed up really bad this last season and they've been parked in the same quonset-barn for years.  Time to invest in some cats I guess.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »

Definitely an uptick here, but not because the insulation is any tastier in modern vehicles, my '62 f100 and my 41 international got chewed up really bad this last season and they've been parked in the same quonset-barn for years.  Time to invest in some cats I guess.
I saw a video of a guy with a mink and a dog that worked together to clear out rat's nests.  The mink would go inside and chase the rats out and the dog would kill them.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »

^^^ Looks really good Frank.  I keep myself occupied in the shop as well.  Installed an new HT preamp in the entertainment system rack today.

Pictured are a couple of Rube Goldberg's of mine.

The other one pictured is a fueling station for the generators, ZTR mower etc.  Mounted everything on an aluminum hand truck, 14 gallon tank and hand crank pump.  Fueling up the larger generators is not easy with a 6 gallon fuel can.  The put the fill port right in the center of the fuel tank and it takes 3 hands to do it safely.  Not anymore.

That is much nicer than the portable fuel station I have seen on Amazon.  The gas stations is almost a mile from the house so that's a little far to ride the ZTR without attracting a bit of attention.  IIRC it holds over 20 gallons.  I have thought of getting a trailer for it just to fuel it.  That doesn't address the myriad of other gasoline powered devices.  I like it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steven Cohen

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »

I got so pissed off at consumer grade gas cans I put them all in the recycle bin.  Switched to VP racing fuel jugs that I saw the guys using on Street Outlaws.  They work great, hold 6 gallons and come in lots of colors.  The spouts are long and can be easily lengthened to fit need.  I use standard length.  There is a folding handle on the pump that's off of a handwheel on a milling machine, so the hand truck lays on it's back for easy filling.

https://zzdiesel.com/vp-racing-fuels-motorsport-container-round/?pid=12908&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PDS%20All%20Products%207%2F29%2F2019&utm_term=4576717161145835&utm_content=All%20But%20GM%20and%20Cummins

I switched to metal Eagle safety cans. They are air tight so fuel last longer (E0 with Stabil). They also come with a built in flame arrester.
https://www.eagle-mfg.com/safety-cans

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »

♫ oooohhhh , dee campsite woofer make dee song woof woof , woof woof , dee campsite woof boom all night long and I dont get no sleep ♫

note > believe me , I did get plenty of rest list night !

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »

IMHO Ze Germans invented the perfect gas can back in the 30's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan

I use these when needed.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »

IMHO Ze Germans invented the perfect gas can back in the 30's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan

I use these when needed.
The only can I had back in my racing days.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.