ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to fix a weak tripping breaker?  (Read 2197 times)

Douglas R. Allen

How to fix a weak tripping breaker?
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:51:56 PM »

Came across this solution.  This ok ??  ;) ??? ( don't do this! )

Douglas R. Allen

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: How to fix a weak tripping breaker?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »

Douglas R. Allen
Isn't that what the hole is for?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:00 PM »

Douglas R. Allen

At one time this was a completely acceptable solution in commercial applications for circuits that must not be turned off accidentally. Primarily fire alarm I believe, but I've also seen this used for various other critical circuits. Regardless of how it looks, if the breaker is overloaded it will trip internally. Now manufacturers have specialized devices that do the same thing but cost much more than a bit of scrap wire.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »

At one time this was a completely acceptable solution in commercial applications for circuits that must not be turned off accidentally. Primarily fire alarm I believe, but I've also seen this used for various other critical circuits. Regardless of how it looks, if the breaker is overloaded it will trip internally. Now manufacturers have specialized devices that do the same thing but cost much more than a bit of scrap wire.

I've seen lot of breakers with manufactured metal stops fastened to the handles so you could not turn them off.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-1-in-Handle-Locks/3127577

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 11:09:22 PM »

I wonder if anyone has done this and used a screw slightly too long.  Into the bus bar and then BAM!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:28:58 PM »

I wonder if anyone has done this and used a screw slightly too long.  Into the bus bar and then BAM!

I could see someone drilling a hole for the screw and doing that with the drill bit.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 12:51:50 AM »

a new breaker

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »

Douglas R. Allen
Change the 20 for a 50?
Seriously, lock-on kits are commonly used for fire and security systems to prevent wandering hands from shutting down always-on systems. If overloaded, the breaker will still trip. Then you need to remove the lockout to swing the handle off, to put it back on again.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »

In Britain it would be to use a piece of metal rod or thick copper wire as the fuse, because fixing the cause is not as easy. Of course I've heard anecdotes of many different things being used in place of the fuse in our fused plugs.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 01:25:37 PM »

"Back in the day" our houses were wired with Zinsco thermal trip circuit breakers that could be held closed electrically.  Today's modern breakers cannot be over-ridden and will trip internally disengaging from the flip handle.

A buddy had a 15,750V 375ma signal transformer from a navy ship marconi telegraph transmitter that had a 110VAC 60hz primary rating.  It's case was an oil filled can with 4" tall ceramic insulators on top of it.

We would pull the face off of the electric box, install a 60A breaker to an empty slot and jumper to the transformer with a piece of 12-3 romex.  Then I would hold the breaker closed and my pal would drag a long Xcelite nut driver across the terminals and get an arc going.  As he drug the shaft of the nut driver across, the arc would sustain between the terminals.  Looked like Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory.

That thing scared me.  One afternoon while arcing it his dad walked out the back door to see what was going on.  The old CRT TV picture was shrinking when we lit the arc.  I also noticed the spinning KW meter on the panel was so overloaded that it just sat still vibrating.  And noticing movement out of my peripheral vision, I looked up and thought the overhead wires were moving.  The drop to the house from the pole was overhead 3 wires, L1 neutral & L2.  He initiated another arc and we both looked up, the wires that were normally in a vertical orientation were not.  The top and bottom wires swung out to opposing sides from the EMF.  When the arc broke, they swung back to their normal vertical orientation.

Amazing we survived childhood, we were about 16 at the time.  Had just gotten driver licenses and used to frequent a government surplus facility that had lots of great Viet Nam leftovers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:00:34 PM by Steve-White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 01:25:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.