ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Shure BLX mics work with a Shure QLX receiver ?  (Read 2345 times)

Jack Morris...

Will Shure BLX mics work with a Shure QLX receiver ?
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »

I was recently given a Shure QLXD4 receiver, but no mics. The cheapest mic I can find on the Shure website is a QLXD2/SM58 microphone, which lists for $363. But I can buy a BLX24R/SM58 system, receiver and microphone, for $399. So I was wondering if by any chance a QLX receiver was backward compatible with a BLX microphone ?
If not I guess I have a QLXD4 for sale.
Thanks
Jack

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Will Shure BLX mics work with a Shure QLX receiver ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »

I was recently given a Shure QLXD4 receiver, but no mics. The cheapest mic I can find on the Shure website is a QLXD2/SM58 microphone, which lists for $363. But I can buy a BLX24R/SM58 system, receiver and microphone, for $399. So I was wondering if by any chance a QLX receiver was backward compatible with a BLX microphone ?
Thanks
Jack

Some Shure wireless systems are compatible across lines, but not BLX (which is analogue) and QLXD (which is digital).

-Russ

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:41:58 PM »

While you may get some compatibility across lines, there are often things that may not work properly or as expected.  In the analog world, you could match frequencies and things usually worked, but you may not have some features like battery level, etc.

In the digital world, it's even more complicated because they may use different digital language.  I know that the QLXD and ULXD systems originally worked together, then there was a firmware update that made them incompatible. I'm not sure if that's been corrected or not.

As far as the price difference goes, there's a reason the QLXD transmitter costs more than the BLX entire kit.

What's the frequency band of your QLXD receiver?  I could use one more in my rig.
Brian Jojade

Matthias McCready

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 07:56:08 PM »

Thanks
Jack

Jack,

I am guessing you are wanting to have a wireless mic.

Shure QLX-D is my personal minimum for a decent wireless mic. If you cannot afford a QLX-D (not everyone can, it is not cheap) I would recommend just going wired.

Wired always sounds good and it just works. Keep in mind you can pay thousands of dollars for a wireless version of SM58 that will hopefully work as well as a wired $75 SM58.

In the end with wireless you have batteries that die, frequency coordination to do, antenna's to work with, and transmitters that can die with a bad drop.

Wireless is great when it is the tool you need, but it definitely adds a lot of variables.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »

Jack,

I am guessing you are wanting to have a wireless mic.

Shure QLX-D is my personal minimum for a decent wireless mic. If you cannot afford a QLX-D (not everyone can, it is not cheap) I would recommend just going wired.

Wired always sounds good and it just works. Keep in mind you can pay thousands of dollars for a wireless version of SM58 that will hopefully work as well as a wired $75 SM58.

In the end with wireless you have batteries that die, frequency coordination to do, antenna's to work with, and transmitters that can die with a bad drop.

Wireless is great when it is the tool you need, but it definitely adds a lot of variables.

Mathias, I could not find anything on line, what is the difference between qlx-d and qlx-4 I have some qlx-d inventory and some complete slx If the d4 will fit in my frequency plan may be able to help him out. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »

Mathias, I could not find anything on line, what is the difference between qlx-d and qlx-4 {...}

QLXD4 is just the model number for the standard half-rack QLX-D RX.

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »

QLXD4 is just the model number for the standard half-rack QLX-D RX.

-Russ

Ah, sometimes the answer is simple.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »

Ah, sometimes the answer is simple.

It's simple if you've been around Shure gear for a while.
xxx1 beltpack
xxx2 handheld
xxx3 plug-on transmitter
xxx4 stationary receiver
xxx5 portable receiver

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »

It's simple if you've been around Shure gear for a while.
xxx1 beltpack
xxx2 handheld
xxx3 plug-on transmitter
xxx4 stationary receiver
xxx5 portable receiver

Also:
xxx4S single-channel stationary RX
xxx4D dual- channel stationary RX
xxx4Q quad-channel stationary RX (which produces the somewhat-confusing ULXD4Q)

-Russ

Alex Cheng

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »

This is key to remember! The corollary that comes with this: when wireless is the tool you need, use your budget to minimize the effect of those added variables. :)

Jack, I would keep the QLXD4 receiver (as long as it's in a legal frequency band) and pick up a used QLXD2/SM58 handheld on Reverb (generally better luck there than on eBay). There are some going for $220-ish. This gets you one channel of good wireless that will serve you well.

If you sell the QLXD4 and pick up two channels of BLX, you will have two channels of meh wireless that will not work as well and will need to be replaced if you ever plan to grow beyond one or two channels.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.