ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Microphones Through The Ages  (Read 5562 times)

Rick Earl

Re: Wireless Microphones Through The Ages
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 10:05:56 AM »

Later on Vega would have the "Hourglass" handheld systems that seemed to be popular in America yet I haven't seen any use of them in the UK so far.

This also looks like the EV  2000  or 2500 line of the vhf microphones.

EV acquired VEGA and it's technology - In the early 90's IIRC - the EV mics at that time were Vega designs.  They were also pretty smart at marketing.  Somebody at EV had a bunch of dummy mics made for TV  - lip sync use, so you saw a whole lot of them being used.  The TV producers liked them because they were free and it didn't matter if they got dropped.    The sad part about all these acquisitions and changes is the loss of some of the history.  It is hard to find much about Vega, they were absorbed before the internet took off and although EV was an engineering driven company and had a lot of documentation, I have yet to find anything from Vega in their archives.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 08:11:20 AM »

I remember using HME systems back in the early 80's.  You could change frequencies by actually swapping out crystals.  Had to do that once because another church about a half mile away was on the same frequency causing problems. Took us a while to figure out what was causing the interference until at one point our mic was off and their broadcast came through crystal clear.

In the late 80's early 90's when I was doing video production we had a HME belt pack system with the 722 receiver. Not exactly a remote friendly system, had to rig up a camera battery pack to power the receiver through the DC power jack.

Just found one on Ebay, I'm sure they'll sell fast!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HME-Rx722-Wireless-Receiver-with-Antenna-/383546124197
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 08:14:26 AM by Mike Caldwell »

William T. Flowerday

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 12:39:11 AM »

Sorry to reactivate an old Thread, but I saw this one and preferred to reuse rather than create a fully new one.

My Question is : I saw a TV Interview, and the interviewer was conducting an interview at an event on bleacher seating and had to reach across a person to get to the interviewee. He had a Special radio mic that I've never seen before and never seen since, so I thought there was a chance that you guys might know it. Anyway, it was about half a metre long or more and was white in colour (actually in reflection, it was probably that popular at the time 70's light beige) But I would like to know if it was a retail mic or something the TV Studio Purchased and Modified ? Maybe the handle was just that long because it was powered by D cell batteries, who knows..

Thanks for all your help

WTF.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »

Sorry to reactivate an old Thread, but I saw this one and preferred to reuse rather than create a fully new one.

My Question is : I saw a TV Interview, and the interviewer was conducting an interview at an event on bleacher seating and had to reach across a person to get to the interviewee. He had a Special radio mic that I've never seen before and never seen since, so I thought there was a chance that you guys might know it. Anyway, it was about half a metre long or more and was white in colour (actually in reflection, it was probably that popular at the time 70's light beige) But I would like to know if it was a retail mic or something the TV Studio Purchased and Modified ? Maybe the handle was just that long because it was powered by D cell batteries, who knows..

Thanks for all your help

WTF.

Don't know what it was, could have been custom. Sony had the microphone on an aerial that was used on the likes of Match Game and on the UK version when hosted by Terry Wogan they made their own version of the same thing with a car aerial.

augie propersi

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 10:32:02 PM »

Does anyone have a copy of the Vega print add featuring Dave Andrews?

I would love to have one for my office wall
Augie

Rick Earl

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »

Augie

RF Venue has some old ads.  https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/2015/07/14/vintage-vega-wireless-ads-from-1975

Rick Earl

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 02:30:42 PM »

Augie

And one of my favorite pictures:

Daniel Levi

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2023, 09:13:36 AM »

Thinking about dummy wireless it's always funny to see a SM58 or similar with a bit of wire sticking out of a female XLR, so convincing!
Also Band I wireless systems, some of which had antennas so long they might just as well been wired, or the ones with a decent length "rubber ducky" antenna where the antenna might be the same length as the microphone itself.

Here's a video I stumbled across of Dschinghis Khan performing with examples of both types of antenna on Sennheiser SKM4031's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tm6iO-mQfw

Admitedly I recently acquired a Trantec S1M/ML system (their first system I believe) because it had one of the mics with a "rubber ducky" antenna, their only VHF handheld to have an external antenna, though the lower end UHF systems (like the S4000 and the S4.4/Sennheiser Freeport) retained the external antenna as did the bodypacks (either wire or "rubber ducky" on the VHF systems).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2023, 09:13:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.