ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12” mains tops  (Read 5400 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: 12” mains tops
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »

I won't dissagree, and there were some very reliable and stable class AB amps.  Amp effeciency and power density are amazing with current technology, as is the improvement in loudspeaker technology and manufacturing processes.  Active speakers and digital processing power amps with 60 or more IR and FIR programable filters for "correction" being available on a chip for a few dollars vs. passive crossover limitations really make a difference.

Amen! I think back to the power amps, passive crossovers and speaker cabinets we used back in the late 70's, early 80's....not to mention the massive snake we had to run to FOH and the monster analog mixing board that ALWAYS had something not working....and then you needed outboard if you wanted compressors or reverbs. How did we ever manage to haul all that stuff around?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 04:39:17 AM »

Amen! I think back to the power amps, passive crossovers and speaker cabinets we used back in the late 70's, early 80's....not to mention the massive snake we had to run to FOH and the monster analog mixing board that ALWAYS had something not working....and then you needed outboard if you wanted compressors or reverbs. How did we ever manage to haul all that stuff around?

Early 80's that was status quote up to 2010 when the x32 (maybe a little before with the Presonus) hit the scene.  I can still make a case for a simple passive rig too as easier to setup.  We have a couple of club "role and go" rigs.  x32, class D amps for mains, monitors and subs, all processed and ready to go.  No power to run all over the stage, a single NL4 a side on the mains and it's ready to go.   A ham fisted operator could blow it up while that's much harder with the powered stuff. 

On the large end we have this discussion too.  Our line array modules (FBT Muse 210's) are powered and the the Meyer 650R2's we usually send out, or the STX-828's are not.  We keep bantering back and forth if we want powered subs or not.

For your application it seems a nice set or powered mains is the way to go.  Don't overthink though. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 04:39:17 AM ยป

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.