ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Light react to Audio Output  (Read 5442 times)

Alex Reid

DMX Light react to Audio Output
« on: April 02, 2021, 06:18:49 AM »

Hi,

Ive purchased a Equinox Swing Batten LED light which has DMX Out / IN. Im wanting the light to react to the audio coming either from A) My mixer output or b) laptop audio output.

Please can anyone advise how to do this?

Cheers,
Alex

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: DMX Light react to Audio Output
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »

Alex, the easy solution is to put the light in sound-active mode and let it react to your music.  DXM requires the use of a controller and even then won’t do much better if just wanting the unit to flash around randomly with music.

Alex Reid

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »

Alex, the easy solution is to put the light in sound-active mode and let it react to your music.  DXM requires the use of a controller and even then won’t do much better if just wanting the unit to flash around randomly with music.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks thats great, however I'm looking for it to react to the actual output, for example even if the speakers were turned to 0 the lights would still react to whats playing (even though you cant hear it).

Cheers,
Alex

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks thats great, however I'm looking for it to react to the actual output, for example even if the speakers were turned to 0 the lights would still react to whats playing (even though you cant hear it).

Cheers,
Alex

I've never owned a DMX fixture that could do what you are asking - The audio has to be 'listened' to by the inbuilt mic in the fixture usually. Of course you could use midi to what you want and it would be much more controllable too.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »

Even the lower end controller boards use an onboard mic the activate to the music.  Never seen anything that took an audio input.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 01:05:07 PM »

Never seen anything that took an audio input.

Believe it or not my little Behringer LC2412 can take a 1/4" audio input and has a sensitivity fader for sound-to-light triggering.  They're out there, but it's an uncommon feature.

Alex, if you're not satisfied with your light's sound-to-light function or auto mode you'll need to buy a DMX controller.  There are ways to set up what you describe but your expectations need to be very low in order to be satisfied with the result.  It's a fair bit of work and money to set up something that ultimately won't be much better than what the light can do by itself.  Better sound-to-light can be accomplished with MIDI triggering or plugins with DJ software but increase complexity by another order of magnitude.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this?

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 01:45:41 PM »

Hi,

Ive purchased a Equinox Swing Batten LED light which has DMX Out / IN. Im wanting the light to react to the audio coming either from A) My mixer output or b) laptop audio output.

Please can anyone advise how to do this?

Cheers,
Alex

This might do what you're asking. https://www.ledlightingproducts.co.uk/sound

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 10:24:46 PM »

There are lots of DMX controllers that can take a line level audio input and use it to trigger lighting, the one thing none of them will do however is automatically control the lighting with no pre programming. Basic hardware controllers use the audio signal to advance scenes or chases that you have programmed, software controllers can do much more complex things with the audio signal including custom timeline based effects specific to individual tracks, but again there is a lot of work that has to be done ahead of time to get good results.

Alex Reid

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 07:58:39 AM »

Hi All,

Many thanks for your input, as you can tell Im new to the lighting scene ha ha!

Basically I'm starting to do live DJ Streams online with video, however because of where I live I can hardly "blast out" the tracks to a point where sound to light mics on the light would react with any decent correlation.

I have learnt to mix and play my sets without the need to play them "out loud". Instead I stream the master output to my laptop which then streams the audio live to the feed online. Therefore even though no sound is playing at where I am, the music is still playing (if that makes sense). That obviously creates problems of the lights reacting to the sound, as there is none playing out loud!

I have read somewhere (you may laugh at this Im not sure the legitamcy of this), but to get an old pair of cusioned headphones and stick one of the headphones (l or r) over the mic input on the light for the sound to light fixture, creating an air tight seal. This may not be perfect, but I presume A) It will react more to what Im playing from my mixer and B) it will react better than it just in silent mode?

Secondly, I have purchased a cheap DMX Controller to see what I can come up with it is a cheap:

IBIZA 16-2320 LC12DMX DMW Controller - 12 Channel DMX controller, and the light Im wanting to use it with is the Equinox Swing Batten LED which says DMX channels: 6/12 or 16 selectable. Have I bought the right equipment even if it is just to "mess about" to see what I can come up with?

Any more thoughts?

Appreciate all your help.

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:01:32 AM by Alex Reid »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 08:34:20 AM »

Secondly, I have purchased a cheap DMX Controller to see what I can come up with it is a cheap:

IBIZA 16-2320 LC12DMX DMW Controller - 12 Channel DMX controller, and the light Im wanting to use it with is the Equinox Swing Batten LED which says DMX channels: 6/12 or 16 selectable. Have I bought the right equipment even if it is just to "mess about"?

Well, maybe...  As you’ve already noticed your controller is only 12 channels, so you’ll have to use the light in 6 or 12 channel mode for things to work properly.  That being said, it doesn’t look like your controller is programmable in any way.  As mentioned above, you typically program scenes and chases into the controller that get cycled by audio.  I don’t see how this controller will work for what you need.

Sound-to-light usually picks up on bass more than anything else, but putting a headphone over the light’s mic is probably worth a try.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 08:34:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.