ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 monitor control app suggestions  (Read 4246 times)

Landon Lewsaw

X32 monitor control app suggestions
« on: March 31, 2021, 07:43:34 AM »

What are people using or recommending for a mobile app for musos to control their own IEM mix?  I suggested the Behringer one (Mix-Q) to a band I work with but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while an wasn't working on the current iOS for at least one member.

Criteria would be simplicity mainly, and avoidance of any ability for them to screw up my FOH mix!

Douglas R. Allen

Re: X32 monitor control app suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:28 AM »

What are people using or recommending for a mobile app for musos to control their own IEM mix?  I suggested the Behringer one (Mix-Q) to a band I work with but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while an wasn't working on the current iOS for at least one member.

Criteria would be simplicity mainly, and avoidance of any ability for them to screw up my FOH mix!

Mixing Station Pro works well but I don't believe it can lock out mixes you don't want others to control.  I use Mix-Q when I hand out android tablets to a couple of bands who use them ( or did pre covid ) and they worked great. I have 4.04.1 on my M32R and the Mix-Q still works with it. Maybe find a different tablet for the person on stage who can't use his/her phone/tablet?

Douglas R. Allen

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »

Mixing Station Pro works well but I don't believe it can lock out mixes you don't want others to control. 

Not sure about the iOS version, but certainly on Android Mixing Station Pro allows you restrict access to only the fader and pan settings of one or more bus sends from the connection screen.

-Russ

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 06:18:30 AM »

Not sure about the iOS version, but certainly on Android Mixing Station Pro allows you restrict access to only the fader and pan settings of one or more bus sends from the connection screen.

-Russ

Sure but a person on stage can still get access to the Main Mix and adjust faders and pan if they want. Mixing Station MS/Pro really needs to to be able to limit what bus and what can be looked at and controled on each tablet. A monitor mix is Bus 1 then only Bus 1 and "authorized" features of that bus can be adjusted or even shows up on the tablet. Much like AirFader did with its app. In this case a person can only control Bus 1 faders channels 1-40.

Douglas R. Allen

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »

Sure but a person on stage can still get access to the Main Mix and adjust faders and pan if they want. Mixing Station MS/Pro really needs to to be able to limit what bus and what can be looked at and controled on each tablet. A monitor mix is Bus 1 then only Bus 1 and "authorized" features of that bus can be adjusted or even shows up on the tablet. Much like AirFader did with its app. In this case a person can only control Bus 1 faders channels 1-40.

I just dug a little deeper, and it turns out proper lockout like you're looking for does exist in Mixing Station using bus password protection. Haven't used it myself, but it seems slick. It doesn't have the same granularity as AirFader, but it's definitely more powerful than Mix-Q (in the sense that you can also lock out your effects sends).

-Russ

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »

It seems there was some confusion between the Mix-Q app and the X32-Mix app.  They all have Mix-Q on their phones now and seem happy.  I like the looks of Mixing Station and think I'll get it to run my XR18.  Don't like the factory app for that at all...

Thanks for the feedback.

David Schumann

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »

Douglas R. Allen

Hi,
I can provide a bit more background information about that:
1) In order to restrict the available busses the app needs to load some sort of list which holds the busses the user should be able to select
2) Ideally this information should be stored on the mixer so you don't need to configure each tablet manually

Since mixers are not designed to store these types of information (at least the currently supported mixers) Mixing Station is using the name of the last routing preset to store the bus + password that should be protected.
While it would be nice to have the same permission matrix as AirFader, the app simply can't store that much data on the mixer side.

The only reason AirFader can do this is because they have their own server which acts as "man in the middle" when then can provide these information to the app.

I don't know if it would fit use case but if you want to manually configure each tablet you can restrict access to specific busses and channels as well (using custom layers + layout)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »

If you're looking at X32-Q, that's basically been discontinued for a couple years and won't work correctly on most devices. What you want is MX-Q, which is the current version and is compatible with all X32 and M32 consoles. There's no longer a separate Midas and Behringer app, they're combined into MX-Q.

I like the MX-Q version better anyway. They improved a lot of the functionality and it works well.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.