Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

coiling feeder cable

(1/4) > >>

charles strickland:
  Is there a better way to coil extra feeder cable than using a figure eight ? ( when powered up )  4/4

Frank Czar:
In over thirty years in the business I use 4/4 a lot and can only recall one time that I got noise from havening the cable in a single coil and re-doing it into a figure eight cured the noise.

Tim McCulloch:
It gives better heat dissipation and the cris-crossing helps hold down induction heating.

Is there a particular issue you're trying to solve or just sussing out best practices?

Kevin Graf:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on March 30, 2021, 08:20:16 PM ---It gives better heat dissipation and the cris-crossing helps hold down induction heating.

--- End quote ---
Induction heating?
If all the current is returning in the same cable, it's resistance heating.

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Kevin Graf on March 31, 2021, 08:30:25 AM ---Induction heating?
If all the current is returning in the same cable, it's resistance heating.

--- End quote ---
But also induction heating to the closely coupled loops of cable.... as I understand it.
At a "big show" I teched one winter last century, the over/under 50 odd feet of 400A feeder made a nice hand warmer. The feeder itself (away from the loop) was cool to the touch.
Chris.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version