ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: coiling feeder cable  (Read 5841 times)

charles strickland

coiling feeder cable
« on: March 30, 2021, 06:04:54 PM »

Is there a better way to coil extra feeder cable than using a figure eight ? ( when powered up )  4/4

Frank Czar

• Website
Re: coiling feeder cable
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:19:33 PM »

In over thirty years in the business I use 4/4 a lot and can only recall one time that I got noise from havening the cable in a single coil and re-doing it into a figure eight cured the noise.
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:20:16 PM »

It gives better heat dissipation and the cris-crossing helps hold down induction heating.

Is there a particular issue you're trying to solve or just sussing out best practices?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Graf

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 08:30:25 AM »

It gives better heat dissipation and the cris-crossing helps hold down induction heating.
Induction heating?
If all the current is returning in the same cable, it's resistance heating.
Speedskater

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 08:50:48 AM »

Induction heating?
If all the current is returning in the same cable, it's resistance heating.
But also induction heating to the closely coupled loops of cable.... as I understand it.
At a "big show" I teched one winter last century, the over/under 50 odd feet of 400A feeder made a nice hand warmer. The feeder itself (away from the loop) was cool to the touch.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »

Take a look at conduit conductor count deratings to get a picture of how quickly heat dissipation can become an issue.  Conductor ampacities are based on insulation temperature ratings-most of these are high enough to make a hand warmer.  Bundle a bunch together and you have lots of heat.   Just common sense-if you think about the physics behind the rules in the NEC.  Just like thinking about the physics involved in setting up a sound system.
Steve Swaffer

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »

But also induction heating to the closely coupled loops of cable.... as I understand it.
At a "big show" I teched one winter last century, the over/under 50 odd feet of 400A feeder made a nice hand warmer. The feeder itself (away from the loop) was cool to the touch.
Chris.
A stacked coil of 'heater' wire will have way less surface area to dissipate said heat compared to a single strand laid out.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »

Take a look at conduit conductor count deratings to get a picture of how quickly heat dissipation can become an issue.  Conductor ampacities are based on insulation temperature ratings-most of these are high enough to make a hand warmer.  Bundle a bunch together and you have lots of heat.   Just common sense-if you think about the physics behind the rules in the NEC.  Just like thinking about the physics involved in setting up a sound system.

I can attest to that.  I was climbing in an attic space over a stage once and I laid hands on a very warm piece of 3/4” EMT that was serving the lighting system.  I don’t know how many circuits or what the conduit fill was but it was just a hair uncomfortable to hold onto.  Fortunately there was other structure around more appropriate to use for climbing.

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »

A friend toured with Brit Row and was taught to alternate a coil (loop) and an eight. He said it evened out the build-up from the cross-overs when only figure eights are used. I assume every other coil is over-under. Luckily I don't deal with much bundled feeder these days, so no personal experience with that approach.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

charles strickland

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 05:01:25 PM »

I asked the question mainly for best practice reasons. on occasion I have an extra 20 ft or so cable to deal with, heat build up was my main concern.  Thank you for the advice. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 05:01:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.