ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How would you explain it?  (Read 1337 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
How would you explain it?
« on: March 29, 2021, 11:13:00 am »

So how do you explain the concept of "Buy Once, Cry Once" to your significant other; when "You can get the same thing at Walmart for $50?"
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Geert Friedhof

Re: How would you explain it?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 11:23:26 am »

She buying a $30000 kitchen when a $5000 one does the same.

She buying a $300 bra when a 15$ does the same.

Except those will never make any money while our stuff does/can/should.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 11:54:19 am »

I always understood the BOCO point was:
1- Cheap parts will break with normal use (usually at the worst possible time), and good parts can last a lifetime.
2- Buying cheap stuff that doesn't do the job well will require future purchases of good stuff that will.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:15:06 pm by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:13:59 pm »

The "hand truck" from Walmart would break trying to carry the one you bought.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 12:18:44 pm »

The "hand truck" from Walmart would break trying to carry the one you bought.
A few months ago, the local Walmart was using the front sidewalk of the building for staging some new large fixtures.  Among the debris was a yellow plastic platform dolly, in pieces, it couldn't handle the weight. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:21:18 pm »

So how do you explain the concept of "Buy Once, Cry Once" to your significant other; when "You can get the same thing at Walmart for $50?"
Hey Ed, if you can get me 2 of those at Wally's for 50 each, I'll gladly pay the shipping to Montreal...  ;D
Chris
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 01:11:51 pm »

Well, a quick search at WalMart finds hand trucks ranging in price from $25 to $700.

The one that most looks like the 'same thing' is $230.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexel-800-lb-Capacity-Hand-Truck-Dolly/113062412

For hand trucks, the first critical component is to make sure that it has the carrying capacity for what you plan to move with it, with enough room to spare for safety. A hand truck that breaks while moving gear risks the cost of the gear plus injury to anyone around.

It's not unreasonable to assume that in the audio business you'll be at some point moving things around weighing several hundred pounds with the truck.  With rigging, you never load things completely to the max, so even with a modest 2:1 safety rating, having a hand truck rated at less than 500lbs is a recipe for disaster.

Secondly, having a dolly that moves properly over the surfaces you intend to use it on is critical, again for the safety of the operator and those around.  If a dolly is not proper, moving heavy gear can result in injury because you have to struggle to keep the equipment in place, or if something falls off the dolly, someone nearby could be injured.

A good solid hand truck should pretty much last as long as you plan to stay in business, maybe with minor repairs along the way, unless something stupid happens, like it gets run over by a truck or something.

My heavy duty ones are almost as old as I am and I have no plans to replace them.  All of the light duty ones I've had I've ended up overloading and damaging at some point, so I don't even bother getting light duty units anymore.  Just not worth it in the long run.  If I knew I'd never have to use it for heavy loads, maybe. But I know me, and there's always going to be that unexpected heavy load to move, so I make sure a heavy duty dolly is with me for every show, no exceptions.  In fact, typically, I'll have 2. One with pneumatic wheels, and then one with hard wheels.  Hard wheels are great on hard surfaces, carry a heavy load a little more stable, and don't go flat. Pneumatics are almost a must on softer surfaces outdoors, but if they go flat, they are useless.  So the truck pack typically plans for space for one of each in the back of the truck.
Brian Jojade

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 07:12:08 pm »

That looks like the exact same model Hand-truck that I use a lot. I like that it turns into a dolly (if that is what you call it). Just be really careful when changing it from one mode to the other as with anything that folds it will bite you if you aren't careful. That's why I always wear work gloves when loading and unloading a system and setting it up and taking it down. 

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 09:55:32 pm »

Because one can't get a truck like that for $50 anywhere and that's what it takes.  Anything less is a hazard to both equipment loaded onto it and the operator.

BOCO is a truth.  I've owned more air compressors than I can remember.  5 over the last 20 years.  Currently a 5HP & 2HP Quincy's in tandem which runs the sandblaster "ok" but not really well.  Would have been less to just get this one initially and Git "R Done.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:06:25 pm by Steve-White »

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 10:59:17 pm »

You guys never disappoint! 
It was more a rhetorical question. I'm a believer of BOCO and Good tools are expensive, but Cheap tools are damned expensive! She just doesn't always see it in audio equipment/tools. Had a similar "discussion" when 200 feet of 12/3 SO showed up recently. UPS wasn't too happy that day either.  Shh! Don't tell her about the Smaart license.  :-X
C'est la vie!
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 10:59:17 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.