ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help putting together RCF soundsystem (ART 735 + 8004)  (Read 3513 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Help putting together RCF soundsystem (ART 735 + 8004)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »

Keep in mind this.  It's your decision and you live with the results.  Nobody has the same story on how they got started, where they are now or where they're headed.

You will have your story as well and your own unique set of experiences from the journey.

At times that gets lost in the db blabber which we love to engage in, myself included.  For me, like the next guy I have my preferences of equipment and how the systems are laid out architecture wise.

At your point, with the questions you are asking let me also suggest this.  Coming here and posting  the thread is great.  I don't know what your experience is with the world of mobile DJ equipment.  Back when I was getting started I was like a sponge.  Went out to many many clubs and carefully looked at their systems, how they sounded and the installation itself, brands, etc.  Also the lighting.  And checked out lots of clubs with bands playing, band/DJ clubs.  And went to any event I heard of with a mobile DJ playing, even the local FM radio live DJ appearances.

If you can go out and see what the other guys are using and how well it works for them or how bad it sucks.  Look at everything.  Subs on floor, tops on stage or platforms, ground stacks, do they use monitors or just headphones.  Wired or wireless mics.  Mixer layout.  Most of the guys I've know since the 80's that are still playing have a DJ mixer or controller that feeds into a regular audio mixing console.  The main console controls all the mic inputs and has line inputs from CD players & laptop for dinner music and such.

That's how my stuff is setup as well.  Wired mic for the DJ, also a wireless for the DJ & a second wireless for the guests to propose toasts and such - system is optimized for wedding receptions.  Also has monitors that sit on the DJ desk on a high pass filter at 120hz as there's plenty of LF from the mains for the monitors.  Are you going to work alone on stage.  I use the lighting guy to assist the DJ with iPad mixer control of the mics when the DJ is out front for MC duty and making introductions.

The system mixer in my setup is an Midas MR12 and works great.  It offers TONS of processing options you want that a DJ mixer or controller doesn't have.  Compressors and limiting functions for the overall system which can be preset to sound levels and help the DJ manage it overall.  Having compression/limiting also on the mics, especially the guest mic so when it gets dropped or some idiot trys to get cute and scream into it is also something that's really necessary for a professional level setup.

John Fruits

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 08:44:21 PM »

Slight swerve, did you see this ad in the classifieds. No idea on price but in your area.
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,175231.0.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 11:04:54 PM »

Slight swerve, did you see this ad in the classifieds. No idea on price but in your area.
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,175231.0.html

That would be just about what the doctor ordered for what Josh wants to do.  If the controller isn't included he can find a good one used in about 10 minutes online.

That would be worth looking into.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 05:59:11 PM »

Hello! Like the title says, I'm working on putting together a small soundsystem, and I've been led to believe that RCF is the best choice. With this PA I hope to throw parties (may Covid die a speedy death) of no more than 400 hundred people, mostly in warehouses and outdoors, DJing almost exclusively bass-driven dance music like techno, house, dubstep etc. Our budget is around 6k (flexible) and for this price it seems like RCF is the best bet.

At the moment, I'm thinking the best option is to begin by getting 2x ART 735a over 2x 8004. One question I'm wondering about, is if anyone has experienced the difference between the ART 735a and the 745a? The 735a is so much cheaper (1k less for the pair) than the 745a, that it seems hard to justify the extra 1db. Is there some gross disadvantage to the 735a?

My other question is whether I will have enough bass from 2x 8004. From the specs, it seems like these subs can keep up pretty well with the ART 735a, but most of the examples using the 8004s online show them at gigs with live sound, and it's hard to gauge how they'd fare during a rave. Should I be looking at the 8006? The 9004? Does it make more sense to try to get 4x 8003? Another brand of subs entirely? A demo would be incredible, though I've heard the RCF warehouse in NJ is not publicly accessible due to Covid. I'm based in NYC if anyone know of an alternative.

Thank you for your time, I've learnt so much from the LAB and I'm very grateful to you all.

I don't think you can come close to being satisfied with a $6K budget.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 07:50:25 AM »

You don't want to have to peg your system to the limiters your first set and keep it there all night.

The quote above says it all.
FWIW: I find working with DJ's rather frustrating at times as they always want more volume.
(I double-up on the gear that is requested.)

In my experience if I peg a system "to the walls" during the first set I will end up with no where to go.....
As the DJ's ears fatigue (start to shut down - in protection-mode) the DJ will want it louder as the night (and further fatiguing) goes on as a rig will sound quieter to him....

You system has to have some gas left-in-the-tank (some where to go) or else you'll be riding in the red all night.
Running an over-spec'd rig at 50% at the beginning of the night is a good place to start IMO.

I find DJ's way-more demanding than bands....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:01:32 AM by Mike Monte »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 07:50:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.