ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Usb audio input interface without knobs?  (Read 1303 times)

Andrew Makinson

Usb audio input interface without knobs?
« on: March 21, 2021, 11:49:37 AM »

I need to add decent quality stereo audio input to an M1 Mac mini. I'd love to have something like a peavey usb-p that is for line level inputs. Even something that is 1/8" unbalance like what is built into some older Macs would be fine if it sounds good. Would like to have low cost and not have level knobs that can be bumped between uses, if possible. The $10 things on Amazon are mono which would be acceptable if the audio was clean enough. I'll be coming out of the QL5 into the Mac mini and recording with SoundStudio.
Any suggestions for this?
(If DVS was ready for Big Sur and M1, that could also work. I don't think it's compatible.)
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Usb audio input interface without knobs?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »

I need to add decent quality stereo audio input to an M1 Mac mini. I'd love to have something like a peavey usb-p that is for line level inputs. Even something that is 1/8" unbalance like what is built into some older Macs would be fine if it sounds good. Would like to have low cost and not have level knobs that can be bumped between uses, if possible. The $10 things on Amazon are mono which would be acceptable if the audio was clean enough. I'll be coming out of the QL5 into the Mac mini and recording with SoundStudio.
Any suggestions for this?
(If DVS was ready for Big Sur and M1, that could also work. I don't think it's compatible.)

Any number of Dante IO's can do this. Shure Ani4, Atterotech stuff, Neutrik IO. These all use a standalone prgram to set levels and routing. I have an Atterotech something or other and it's been solid.

This option would require you to run DVS or Dante Via as well.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 02:22:17 PM »

Cheapest would be the 16bit Behringer interfaces, RCA IN/OUT and they even have a proper ASIO driver if you look around.
The UFO202, UCA-202 and UCA-222
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:27:31 PM by Daniel Levi »

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »

According to Audinate, DVS for M1 will be later this summer. 
I ordered one of these as an interim step, it gives 2x2 Dante to USB compliant audio.  It works with the M1 and I will have other uses for it after DVS is ready.  Definitely more $$ than a simple analog interface though.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AVIO-USB--audinate-avio-dante-2x2-usb-adapter

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 05:06:54 PM »

The Audinate AVIO Dante 2X2 USB would certainly be my first choice once DVS is compatible.

In the meantime, the Scarlett 2i2 (and probably most of the rest of this line) have TRS 1/4" line inputs that are only adjustable with their Focusrite software.

Oops, the lowest model with the 1/4" line inputs is the Scarlett 4i4.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:10:54 PM by Milt Hathaway »
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »

The Audinate AVIO Dante 2X2 USB would certainly be my first choice once DVS is compatible.

In the meantime, the Scarlett 2i2 (and probably most of the rest of this line) have TRS 1/4" line inputs that are only adjustable with their Focusrite software.

The 2x2 USB is compatible with the M1 right now.  It uses a USB interface to the computer to give you 2x2 to the Dante network. It would be routed like any other Dante device by another computer running DC.  Once DVS is compatible, you can just use a network interface and get back to 64x64.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 06:02:08 PM »

The 2x2 USB is compatible with the M1 right now.  It uses a USB interface to the computer to give you 2x2 to the Dante network. It would be routed like any other Dante device by another computer running DC.  Once DVS is compatible, you can just use a network interface and get back to 64x64.
Thanks for the help! I might go this route.
Cheapest would be the 16bit Behringer interfaces, RCA IN/OUT and they even have a proper ASIO driver if you look around.
The UFO202, UCA-202 and UCA-222
Will look it this!
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 07:30:26 PM »

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »

Cheap? You don't know from cheap.

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-play-3

Holy F#$%! I woulda killed for that in the early 90s/late 80s. Except for the USB part

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »

Cheap? You don't know from cheap.

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-play-3
https://www.amazon.com/TechRise-External-Adapter-Splitter-Converter/dp/B01J7P0OGI/

Less than $12.  This "new" version has T/R/S mic input for a stereo mic and a T/R/R/S for a headset or phone-style ear buds with mic, and a T/R/S jack for headphones.  This and a $25 Pyle ear set mic can fix 85% of Zoom audio problems.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.