ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting DB SPL to DBu  (Read 963 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Converting DB SPL to DBu
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 02:20:25 PM »

That was my first thought.

I think there'd also be some level of audience involvement in that feedback loop: music gets louder, so punters talk louder, so the processor pushes things further. In the end, the SPLs end up much too high for a restaurant setting. I think I'd just put a couple of volume controls somewhere and let the floor manager set levels.

Chris

Exactly what I was thinking.  And preset the range of levels the system can go.  Most likely at peak times, the background should probably be buried in the chaos, except for specific areas like at the hosts and waiting areas.  Probably don't want it to track in a linear fashion to maintain intelligibility anyway.

Art Welter

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 03:34:49 PM »

This processing object will automatically adjust program material (background music) to sit at a prescribed level above the ambient/background noise level. In this instance it's for a restaurant, through some research I can see the average level of conversation is about 65db (I assume this to be SPL or an A weighted measurement). The plan being that the program material will sit 3 - 6db above this.
Edd,

Welcome to the forums!

As the manual states:

"The Ambient Noise Compensator Non Gap allows the level of an announcer (or other program material) to 'ride' on the average background (ambient) noise level so that the program is kept at an audible level above that of the ambient noise."

For what you are trying to accomplish, the program material, being "background music" should be 3-6 dB less than the average ambient noise created by conversation, or the result will be a feedback loop (as described in posts #9 & 10) of the patrons talking louder than the ambient noise level of other conversations + increasing background program material driven into the foreground of their perception.

Art

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 10:45:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.