ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Long range in-ear monitor solution  (Read 5525 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Long range in-ear monitor solution
« on: March 18, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »

I'm working with a customer that wants to spread some speakers along about a 3 block area, and wants to be able to wirelessly broadcast to the speakers. They have battery operated JBL EON one pros that they will be using.

I was thinking just using an IEM would work great, since the receiver would be battery operated, and I could just velcro it to the speaker, but wondering if any would have the ability to reliably broadcast about 3 blocks away.

Any experience?
Brian Jojade

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Long range in-ear monitor solution
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »

I've done this, but I only had to go across the street, so it's not quite the same thing. If you have a directional antenna, you might be able to get about a block or so, but I doubt you'd get over 2. You could always set it up and test it, but unless the transmitter antenna and the receiver are elevated, people standing in between will reduce the range, making it hard to test effectively.

If you could put the transmit antenna in the middle, you might stand a better chance of making it work, depending on how directional it is. From the middle, you could also use 2 transmitters with directional antennas, on different frequencies, one going each way.

Let us know how it works out. I'll be curious.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:46:57 PM »

I've fed remote speakers 300 feet or so with senny e500g3.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »

I'm working with a customer that wants to spread some speakers along about a 3 block area, and wants to be able to wirelessly broadcast to the speakers. They have battery operated JBL EON one pros that they will be using.

I was thinking just using an IEM would work great, since the receiver would be battery operated, and I could just velcro it to the speaker, but wondering if any would have the ability to reliably broadcast about 3 blocks away.

Any experience?
How big are the blocks?
An actual measurement would be helpful and is it line of sight to the speakers?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Kent Clasen

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 05:56:21 PM »

Any experience?

We have done this doing the same with directional antennas mounted high and receivers on top of tripod mounted speakers.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 09:06:29 PM »

I use Sennheiser SK100G3  bodypack transmitters & EK100G3 bodypack receivers for wireless remotes. I don't know how much distance they would cover but you could use a set to relay from one speaker placement to the next. Sennheiser and others offer short cables that are prewired to use line level in & out.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 02:54:43 AM »

We have done this doing the same with directional antennas mounted high and receivers on top of tripod mounted speakers.

This.

@Brian:

I find the Shure IEM units are easier than Sennheiser because you can change the antenna on the pack, if you're going strictly with IEM units.   Shure has a guide on its application here.

If you have access to some older Shure UHF-R units and a Shure PSM900 P9T, there is a Point-To-Point mode that can be deployed with this setup.  Again, directional antennae are recommended on both ends.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 05:21:29 AM »

Any experience?

If you can test first, even just walking down the street with a Rx listening to music and the Tx antenna up high - that would help.  I'll let others with more experience with reflections off parallel buildings chime in. 

I've informally tested microphones like this in open areas (golf tournament) and gotten much longer range than expected.  How that translates to city streets - I don't know. 

Had something semi-related happen today.  I was listening to FM radio in my SUV, at a stop light, facing almost directly toward the antenna, a few miles away.  Reception was strong.  A semi truck came to a slow stop behind me, and my reception dropped drastically.  I inched ahead a few feet, and the signal came back strong. 

The other issue is time delay.  If the speakers have coverage overlap - it's going to sound phasey, especially if there is supposed to be a 'time 0' somewhere. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »

Sennhesier IEM work well for audio links and Sennheiser wireless mic receivers will link to the IEM transmitters so you can use external antennas at both ends.
With LPDA antennas at both ends and a clear line of site 600 feet is do able.
I've used the body pack receivers setting in the top handle pocket of my powered
speakers for small delay fills at 200 feet with no issues.

Actually I'm working on a very similar project for a city to extended their downtown music
and just tested my Sennheiser system to 450 feet where the amp would be located.
This would be a permanent install system so I'm going to need some weather proof antennas.
I'm also looking at audio over IP solutions.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:33:28 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 12:32:56 PM »

Sennhesier IEM work well for audio links and Sennheiser wireless mic receivers will link to the IEM receivers so can use external antennas at both ends.
With LPDA antennas at both ends and a clear line of site 600 feet is do able.

The OP said he wants battery powered, like his speakers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 12:32:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.