ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a better way.  (Read 6123 times)

Al Rettich

Is there a better way.
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »

I have to make some panels coming up soon.  When connecting the connectors to the panel, I’ve always used a screwdriver in one hand, and a pair of needle nose pliers in the other hand.  Was never able to get a socket around it.  Anyone else ever have a better way than needle nose pliers?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Is there a better way.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »

I have to make some panels coming up soon.  When connecting the connectors to the panel, I’ve always used a screwdriver in one hand, and a pair of needle nose pliers in the other hand.  Was never able to get a socket around it.  Anyone else ever have a better way than needle nose pliers?

I’ve thought about grinding off one side of a socket.  I did once have a socket that had thin enough walls that it did fit.  Of course that walked off.  Otherwise needle nose too.  Would love a better off-the-shelf solution too.

James Cotton

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »

Anyone else ever have a better way than needle nose pliers?

XLRs I rivet these days. Rear mount with black rivets looks nice and clean.

For things that won't mount well using rivets (Ethercon pass throughs mostly which seem to multiply as time goes on) I have a nut spinner with thin walls that will go so far but still binds up generally on the second fixing.
Beyond that I use a tiny Bahco Liliput 5.5mm spanner (part number 1931M-5.5).
One end is regular spanner and the other has the opening kinda sideways on.
The sideways one really helps in tight packed panels.
Still use Needle Nose to get the nut started and that's the most difficult bit.
I use M3 nylocks to save having to deal with any washers.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »

XLRs I rivet these days. Rear mount with black rivets looks nice and clean.

For things that won't mount well using rivets (Ethercon pass throughs mostly which seem to multiply as time goes on) I have a nut spinner with thin walls that will go so far but still binds up generally on the second fixing.
Beyond that I use a tiny Bahco Liliput 5.5mm spanner (part number 1931M-5.5).
One end is regular spanner and the other has the opening kinda sideways on.
The sideways one really helps in tight packed panels.
Still use Needle Nose to get the nut started and that's the most difficult bit.
I use M3 nylocks to save having to deal with any washers.

I hate rivets.  I’ve never seen a riveted panel hold up over time and I’ve rarely seen a bolted (with nylock nuts) panel fall apart.  I’ve never seen one fall apart in an install situation.  Riveted panels are terrible to work on too.  I won’t allow them in projects I’m responsible for.

James Cotton

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »

I’ve never seen a riveted panel hold up over time

Interesting, how do you see them fail?

I started riveting because of wanting to rear mount Powercons and Speakons and pan head screws would bind on the plugs when inserting/removing so I was looking for a low profile solution.
I've rivited 500+ Neutrik connectors on my gear and never had one come loose or fail.
Plastic connectors like Powercons get a small washer at the back for the rivet to grab onto so as not to deform the plastic.
I must admit having to drill them out if you change things around is a minor inconvenience.

Considering rivets are all that holds flight cases together and they take way more abuse than any panel should they've got to be fit for purpose  :).

Either way for the screw approach the spanner I suggested or something similar in imperial if you're using odd screw sizes is a real help.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »

These are long, but there are shorter ones.  If the OD is too big, they can be ground down.  Magnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-16-Inch-Klein-Tools-646M/dp/B000936QV0
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »

Anyone else ever have a better way than needle nose pliers?

Duck bill pliers. The nut's rotation doesn't twist the jaws of these like it does with needle nose.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 03:29:47 PM »

Duck bill pliers. The nut's rotation doesn't twist the jaws of these like it does with needle nose.

Sounds like a quack remedy.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »

Interesting, how do you see them fail?

I started riveting because of wanting to rear mount Powercons and Speakons and pan head screws would bind on the plugs when inserting/removing so I was looking for a low profile solution.
I've rivited 500+ Neutrik connectors on my gear and never had one come loose or fail.
Plastic connectors like Powercons get a small washer at the back for the rivet to grab onto so as not to deform the plastic.
I must admit having to drill them out if you change things around is a minor inconvenience.

Considering rivets are all that holds flight cases together and they take way more abuse than any panel should they've got to be fit for purpose  :).

Either way for the screw approach the spanner I suggested or something similar in imperial if you're using odd screw sizes is a real help.

I’ve just always seen riveted panels have rivets come loose, break, etc.  I solved the rear mount speakon problem by specifying that the holes be countersunk.  Then you use the correct color/size flat head (countersunk) bolt and it works great.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 04:07:23 PM »

I’ve just always seen riveted panels have rivets come loose, break, etc.  I solved the rear mount speakon problem by specifying that the holes be countersunk.  Then you use the correct color/size flat head (countersunk) bolt and it works great.

There are different grades and qualities of rivets.  Cheap, improperly sized rivets put in by someone that doesn't know what they are doing will fail.  Done properly, they aren't going anywhere.

Upside of rivets is that they are very fast to put in, and won't work themselves loose if they vibrate.

Downside of rivets is that once in, the only option to remove them is drill them out.

Screws installed properly look a little nicer. If installed properly with locktite are just as durable as rivets.  But crappy screws, crappy holes, or improperly installed are more likely to result in failures.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 04:07:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.