ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Hyperion • 1st Danley speaker with FIR ???  (Read 7010 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Danley Hyperion • 1st Danley speaker with FIR ???
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »

{...} On the other hand though, Marketing a Danley like any other home theater product, would get potential customers to look elsewhere and much cheaper options {...}

I would guess (again, knowing very little) that Hyperion isn't aimed at the more value-conscious "home theatre" crowd, but instead at the small (and very lucrative) market of Hi-Fi enthusiasts with virtually unlimited budgets (e.g. the kind of people who spend more on speaker cables than I spent on my last car). For that market I wouldn't be shocked if those speakers cost 5 figures each.

As for DSL fans, I'd expect them to just buy DSL and be done with it (especially since I'm guessing DSL would be quite a bit cheaper).

-Russ

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »

New Danley speaker that is designed for home listening use. It incorporates FIR processing.

https://tomdanley.com/hyperion/

I would love to see "audiophile" loudspeaker manufacturers publish magnitude and phase measurements.
Maybe some do, I don't look at stuff much.

Anyone?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 07:24:19 PM »

I would love to see "audiophile" loudspeaker manufacturers publish magnitude and phase measurements.
Maybe some do, I don't look at stuff much.

Anyone?

I'm no expert in the subject, but a quick bit of search suggests at least that mag traces aren't uncommon.

-Russ

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »

And BTW, what happened to Doug Jones? No more videos from him? Is he still with the company? I don’t see his name on the website.

Good questions.
Ivan?
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 09:20:42 PM »

Good questions.
Ivan?

Doug is no longer working for Danley.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Yoel Klein

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 11:06:30 PM »

Trust me, it is 100% a Danley product.  Designed by the same people, built in the same factory, using many of the existing/same drivers.
Thanks Ivan. Your reply means allot to me and perhaps everyone else.
I couldn’t hold back my brain of thinking about what could happen next... (my imagination...) Danley building line Arrays acoustically coupled into a single source (like the sh46 idea but vertically)
Market it as a Iven beaver signature product with its own website... selling for 8x the cost so it must be good... maybe add in the circuits some transistors to cut down in the income voltages, then advertise its can handle 50 thousand watts per box... for the Danley fans There will be a hidden switch to bypass the transistors and power it efficiently... I’m starting to think I want to join the marketing team...

Any way, jokes aside Let’s wish the entire team a good luck in their hard work. I’m sure its not so easy for Tom and Ivan to adjust to this marketing game and they would much rather enjoy if the world would be more educated and appreciate real science and listen with their ears not with their eyes.

Recently I did a big job with J1’s BC415 sm80’s for a very large area it sounded fantastic. The next event was high rollers and they wanted to “look good”, so they hired a company to hang multiple JBL line arrays with stacks of subs and racks of amps with outside electric.  - I’m stopping here...  to much pain. The main requirements was “looking wow”.  #painful
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:09:34 PM by Yoel Klein »

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 11:17:13 PM »

I wonder if the pandemic played into the decision to produce a consumer product. I imagine sales of professional sound reinforcement equipment took a big hit whereas home equipment may have had an increase in sales as people were spending much more time at home.
I like that Danley has decided to produce a speaker for the home. I’m certainly interested.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 08:18:46 AM »

Thanks Ivan. Your reply means allot to me and perhaps everyone else.
I couldn’t hold back my brain of thinking about what could happen next... (my imagination...) Danley building line Arrays acoustically coupled into a single source (like the sh46 idea but vertically)
Market it as a Iven beaver signature product with its own website... selling for 8x the cost so it must be good... maybe add in the circuits some transistors to cut down in the income voltages, then advertise its can handle 50 thousand watts per box... for the Danley fans There will be a hidden switch to bypass the transistors and power it efficiently... I’m starting to think I want to join the marketing team...

There is no "fluff" (except for maybe the feet it sits on) in the new products.  Everything is true to the original Danley concepts/ideas.  Single source, high sensitivity, flat response etc. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »

I wonder if the pandemic played into the decision to produce a consumer product. I imagine sales of professional sound reinforcement equipment took a big hit whereas home equipment may have had an increase in sales as people were spending much more time at home.

In general it seems like install projects (where Danley tends to most popular) have continued trundling along despite the pandemic.  A big makeover project can take a couple years, and audio is one of the last things installed.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »

There is no "fluff" (except for maybe the feet it sits on) in the new products.  Everything is true to the original Danley concepts/ideas.  Single source, high sensitivity, flat response etc.
I escaped from the consumer audio side of the business back in the 80s because I perceived a rather nonlinear relationship between product performance and market success.  Marketing and advertising will be more important the further you range from professional sound customers.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.