ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 Live Stream - Pre or Post Fader?  (Read 4961 times)

Andy Spears

x32 Live Stream - Pre or Post Fader?
« on: March 13, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »

Our church recently installed a Behringer X32 console. We use it along with a Windows 10 PC running OBS to live stream our services. We're made up of volunteers, some more tech savvy than others. We currently have a pre-fader Mix Bus configured for our live streaming output. Our problem lies in that when we have music specials, there is no formal rehearsal so we are always having to adjust the individual mic faders on the fly. This is fine for the house output, but now we must go into the bus's Sends On Fader to adjust the mic levels for the stream. This is not ideal for us. I tried setting up a post-fader mix bus but the volume is good in the house, but way too quiet on the stream. I'm looking for ways to simplify how we configure the stream output so the operator can adjust the mic faders only once.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Andy

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: x32 Live Stream - Pre or Post Fader?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »

Our church recently installed a Behringer X32 console. We use it along with a Windows 10 PC running OBS to live stream our services. We're made up of volunteers, some more tech savvy than others. We currently have a pre-fader Mix Bus configured for our live streaming output. Our problem lies in that when we have music specials, there is no formal rehearsal so we are always having to adjust the individual mic faders on the fly. This is fine for the house output, but now we must go into the bus's Sends On Fader to adjust the mic levels for the stream. This is not ideal for us. I tried setting up a post-fader mix bus but the volume is good in the house, but way too quiet on the stream. I'm looking for ways to simplify how we configure the stream output so the operator can adjust the mic faders only once.

Thanks!
Andy

How many inputs are you generally using?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »

Thanks!
Andy

Turn down your amplifiers!

Mac

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:42:51 AM »

Turn down your amplifiers!

Mac

Or route the house mix and the streaming Mix Bus to different Matrix outs and turn the house down on the house Matrix output and turn the Streaming Matrix up. And any thing that is so loud in the room that it isn't turned up in the house mix that much assign that source to 2 different inputs one for streaming and one for live. 

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »

Basically what we are saying is it sounds like your pre-amp trims (gain settings) are too low and if you bring them up enough for the post fader Mix Bus send to the stream to be loud enough then it will be too loud in the house unless you have a way to turn down the house feed. And my suggestion as to how to accomplish that involves using the Matrix outs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:50:34 AM by Kevin Maxwell »

Andy Spears

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:56 AM »

How many inputs are you generally using?

Anywhere from 2 to 6 mics vocal mics plus a piano mic.

Andy Spears

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »

Thanks for the information and suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »

You can assign all of your inputs to 2 different faders and one of them gets sent to the house and one of them gets sent to the stream. There are tricks to make this work but if you follow our other suggestions this may not be needed.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 10:00:03 AM »

One more thing this is a cut and paste about how I dealt with one churches streaming feed.

One church I helped set up their X32 for live streaming we took each channel post fader to a Mix Bus (7) and if you needed more or less of that in the live stream they would adjust to taste. This included the vocal reverb that was used for the house mix. They could also send channels to Mix Bus 7 without sending it to the L/R for the house feed. And don’t forget that you have the parametric EQ on the Mix Bus available for shaping the sound. Mix Bus 7 was then sent to Matrix 5 and 6 as the output to the stream.

I used the compressor on Mix Bus 7 at about a 7:1 ratio and set the threshold so it was always doing a little something.  I set the attack and release to AUTO mode and I set the knee to 5. This was then routed to Matrix 5/6 and the matrix compressor was set to limiting (brick wall limiting) ratio to 100 percent and 0 knee, also set it to peak not RMS. And the level was set while watching a test live stream and was set to be just under clipping. This was to keep the signal clean and as loud as we could get it but keep it from clipping. Keep in mind that the dynamic range of live sound is not going to work for any kind of broadcasting feed. Actually at first to get in the ball park I sent a steady tone to the stream and adjusted the Matrix outputs and the limiter to where I heard a clean tone on the streamed return. If the tone is clipping it is very obvious. Then we used playback of a band and we needed to bring it all down a little bit. This church has a Box Caster so there are no adjustments at all in the streaming device. If you are using a way to stream that gives you some control you will need to look into that. There may be a way to increase your output form there. But it sounds like you will still need to beware of the level you are feeding to that and that is where the compression and limiting come into play. 

I hope this helps.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 02:52:12 PM »

Thanks!
Andy
There is no reason that a well setup mixer cannot provide good level to the house and a post fader mix(s).
I have done many mixes for house with post fader aux sends to web and record feeds with no level issues.
As suggested , turn down the input levels on the amps or pull down (it may seem like a lot) the master fader.
Do not run your master fader at "0". In many cases I see master faders down at -20 for proper gain structure across the console.
This way, your "on the fly" mix will track in both the house and the web feed.
Also, use some compression on the web feed.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 02:52:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.