ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement batteries for ADJ QA5 wifly pars  (Read 2230 times)

Dan Nicholson

Replacement batteries for ADJ QA5 wifly pars
« on: March 09, 2021, 05:00:55 AM »

Hi all

UK DJ here. I have 3 ADJ QA5 wifly pars that seem to be dying a death, after a full charge they last about 10 minutes on the battery.

Has anybody had the same problem? I'm thinking I need full replacement battery packs, which aren't cheap. 140 euros EACH from the ADJ parts site. Or alternatively getting some from Alibaba, although I don't totally trust going down that route.

Would love to hear what others would suggest

The battery packs I need are 18650, 6600mah, 22.2v, 18 cell (6x3)

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:25:43 AM by Dan N »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Replacement batteries for ADJ QA5 wifly pars
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:12:41 PM »

Hi all

UK DJ here. I have 3 ADJ QA5 wifly pars that seem to be dying a death, after a full charge they last about 10 minutes on the battery.

Has anybody had the same problem?
Have not used that light, but like the manual says: "Please do not let the battery fully die, this severly shortens the life of the battery"

Even if the battery status indicates “b050” is displayed (the battery is at half life), running the battery dead could kill cells- no life. The wifly par should have a LVC (low voltage cutout) to protect the batteries, but evidently does not...

Likely individual cells have died, it is possible to replace them, though may require a tack welder and a lot of time matching cells..

Good luck!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:48:08 PM »

Have not used that light, but like the manual says: "Please do not let the battery fully die, this severly shortens the life of the battery"

At least they ask nicely!  But yeah, I hate equipment that just can't be turned off and left in the truck after a long job...  Unfortunately with the battery-powered lights they really need to be billed as a semi-disposable item.  Between drained batteries and ever-changing wireless equipment they're not a long-life item.  They're great money makers but likely won't last the 10+ years we can expect from more heritage flavors of equipment...  For liability reasons alone I'd say repairing a battery is a nonstarter.  Hopefully Dan charges enough to use these lights that replacing the batteries every dozen(?) jobs or so can still be profitable!

Dan Nicholson

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 03:53:25 AM »

At least they ask nicely!  But yeah, I hate equipment that just can't be turned off and left in the truck after a long job...  Unfortunately with the battery-powered lights they really need to be billed as a semi-disposable item.  Between drained batteries and ever-changing wireless equipment they're not a long-life item.  They're great money makers but likely won't last the 10+ years we can expect from more heritage flavors of equipment...  For liability reasons alone I'd say repairing a battery is a nonstarter.  Hopefully Dan charges enough to use these lights that replacing the batteries every dozen(?) jobs or so can still be profitable!

Thanks Jeff for your reply. To be honest these have done me really well. I've had about 12 of them for about 7 years now and done hundreds of events with them, they certainly last a lot longer than 12 jobs. I might have to bite the bullet and get some from Alibaba!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:58:26 AM by Dan Nicholson »

Dan Nicholson

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:57:12 AM »

Even if the battery status indicates “b050” is displayed (the battery is at half life), running the battery dead could kill cells- no life. The wifly par should have a LVC (low voltage cutout) to protect the batteries, but evidently does not...

Likely individual cells have died, it is possible to replace them, though may require a tack welder and a lot of time matching cells..

Good luck!

Thanks Art, yeah I do my best to not let them die. I think the main culprit is sometimes accidently leaving the wireless dmx switch on, there's no light to indicate its on.
I imagine the whole pack has been affected, and as I don't really know what I'm doing probably not worth trying to repair!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:54:13 AM »

Thanks Jeff for your reply. To be honest these have done me really well. I've had about 12 of them for about 7 years now and done hundreds of events with them, they certainly last a lot longer than 12 jobs. I might have to bite the bullet and get some from Alibaba!

Hey Dan, that’s a GREAT run for something like this!  I’m glad to hear they’ve served you so well.  Yep, if those batteries are 7 years old I wouldn’t think too hard about either just replacing them or using this as an opportunity to sell your other working units and replacing the set with a more current offering.  Hope this helps!

Dan Nicholson

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »

Hey Dan, that’s a GREAT run for something like this!  I’m glad to hear they’ve served you so well.  Yep, if those batteries are 7 years old I wouldn’t think too hard about either just replacing them or using this as an opportunity to sell your other working units and replacing the set with a more current offering.  Hope this helps!

Yeah they've been pretty good really, only had to get one repaired before, and all others still hold a charge for a long time. Selling them and replacing them did cross my mind, I just cant afford that at the moment due to lack of work! Perhaps in a year's time  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.