Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

New and exciting Dante frustrations.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on March 08, 2021, 09:24:35 PM ---{...} Any ideas?

--- End quote ---

Something else just twigged in my mind: is the Dante firmware up-to-date on all the device (bearing in mind that the Dante firmware is typically separate from the device's firmware)?

-Russ

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on March 08, 2021, 10:31:58 PM ---Something else just twigged in my mind: is the Dante firmware up-to-date on all the device (bearing in mind that the Dante firmware is typically separate from the device's firmware)?

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Probably not. I will do that, but I couldn't Sunday or Monday. Now I have until this Thursday to either fix it or nuke the DSP so I can do another weekend of services.

This system has been stable for a while and so I haven't touched anything in probably two years.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on March 08, 2021, 09:59:59 PM ---Just so I'm clear, despite what you'd had hoped to to, the Mac, the Windows machine, and all of the Dante ports on the CL5 are now on the same network, correct?
--- End quote ---
Yes, all on a Vlan that exists just for Dante
--- Quote ---
DVS clock sync issues in OS 10.14 appears to be a known issue, although a Thunderbolt port is suggested as a workaround which I know you've tried.

--- End quote ---
Yes. Didn't change anything
--- Quote ---

When you say "jumping around", do you mean that the Master Clock is cycling back and forth between devices all on its own, or do you mean that the Master Clock changes to the PCIe card when you start sending flows to it?

--- End quote ---
Yes, it's jumping among all the dante devices on the network. Typically one of my Shure wireless units is the master. I assume it has the lowest MAC address, since it is always the master. Today Master Clock was switching off every 30 seconds to 2 minutes to new devices.
--- Quote ---

Have you tried replacing the network cable between the PCIe card and the switch? Can you downgrade the Mac to 10.12? Is there a reason you don't want to set a Preferred Master clock?

-Russ

--- End quote ---
I tried different cables.

I also tried to set the console as the master. It didn't matter and would jump anyway. Often there would be two "Masters" shown in Dante Controller at the same time.

On a suggestion from another thread I tried to set the desk to internal clock, then the MY card as the master and set the MY card as "external clock source". That didn't work either. Thinking it through now, I can see why that didn't work. The desk also is on the network, and would still need to be clocked from Dante.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on March 08, 2021, 10:05:09 PM ---That is pretty wild for sure.  I have only installed a MY Dante in CL once, but never went through a similar process.  Could you set the IP of the MY card and the Rednet PCIeR to static in a range outside the DHCP assigned subnet?   You would likely get a Red warning in dante controller, and I have no idea how the clocks would work then...

--- End quote ---
I can try that, but I'll need to recruit my IT guy to carve out that space for me. I can't just do it myself.
--- Quote ---I don't use a Macs regularly, but I know there are some issues reported with one of the OSs over on the Dante Facebook group.  Unfortunately, i haven't been paying enough attention to know any more details, but it may be worth a search over there.   

--- End quote ---
I will give it a go.

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on March 08, 2021, 11:02:36 PM ---Yes, all on a Vlan that exists just for Dante  Yes. Didn't change anything Yes, it's jumping among all the dante devices on the network. Typically one of my Shure wireless units is the master. I assume it has the lowest MAC address, since it is always the master. Today Master Clock was switching off every 30 seconds to 2 minutes to new devices.I tried different cables.

I also tried to set the console as the master. It didn't matter and would jump anyway. Often there would be two "Masters" shown in Dante Controller at the same time.

On a suggestion from another thread I tried to set the desk to internal clock, then the MY card as the master and set the MY card as "external clock source". That didn't work either. Thinking it through now, I can see why that didn't work. The desk also is on the network, and would still need to be clocked from Dante.

--- End quote ---

In Dante controller, for your event log, on the lower left, you can set it to “information” it might give you some more details. 

I have a site with a portable rack that is doing something similar. When plugged in, that rack will be promoted master, then demoted, once every 30-120 seconds. It has zero affect on audio though.  My issue only happens when connected over fiber and not cat5.  I suspect I may have a bad SFP, but I need to do some more investigating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version