ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New and exciting Dante frustrations.  (Read 6083 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: New and exciting Dante frustrations.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »

Tim,

It sounds to me like something is arriving late.  I had all kinds of problems with this lately.  It wont throw errors in DC but it will drop audio so you dont hear the clicks and pops.  There is a latency tab in DC to see when the packets arrive, I would check there first. Are you going point to point or are you going through a switch?  If you are going through a switch and it is managed, it could be a set up thing, or a set up thing on specific ports.  I also noticed mention of a core, is the QOS set to audinate?  Good luck, this can be a PITA.

Nathan

Right you are sir.  And that could be from a myriad of causes ranging from hardware/firmware integration or even a hardware fault like a weak output driver to the wiring system in the building.

Troubleshooting could be a real adventure.  If possible, I'd be tempted to some temporary bypassing of all the interconnecting cables for some testing just to be sure.  Or get someone out there that can do proper impedance sweeps and TDR ring out of the cabling system.

In addition it was mentioned to search Facebook for known problems - that may end things before they start.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 09:36:33 PM »

Right you are sir.  And that could be from a myriad of causes ranging from hardware/firmware integration or even a hardware fault like a weak output driver to the wiring system in the building.

Troubleshooting could be a real adventure.  If possible, I'd be tempted to some temporary bypassing of all the interconnecting cables for some testing just to be sure.  Or get someone out there that can do proper impedance sweeps and TDR ring out of the cabling system.

In addition it was mentioned to search Facebook for known problems - that may end things before they start.

Just as an update, I haven't solved all of this yet. I've been working through the updates in my limited time windows which I can take the rig offline, but I'm having a real fight with updating my rio boxes. I will call Yamaha and sit on the phone with them next week and hopefully get the firmware all sorted. My whole rig was on Dante 3.0.8 or something like that and had been for a while.

The MY card turns out was not recieving dhcp through the console. That was a mispatch on my part. It's in a difficult spot to reach and I was unplugging it at the switch instead of crawling under my desk. Turns out I was not unplugging the MY card.

I found a mispatch where one secondary port was patched back into a primary port. This normally isn't a problem since I'm not running redundant networks, but this particular secondary port can not be put into switch mode, so it was no bueno. This mispatch didn't seem to be causing any troubles though. Still I'm glad I found it.

I still have the issue of a new clock master being elevated every 30-120 seconds.

Another problem I have is that I have no control over the network. I have an IT guy who manages that and he's tough to work with. Next week I'll be looking at the QOS settings with him as I've read another person had an issue with a device with a too-high QOS setting trying to always be the master.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 11:33:09 PM »

^^^ Thanks for the update.  Just for the record, I have "0" experience with Dante.

But have background with some computer architecture and integrated systems and networks are networks.  :)

Just trying to help out.  My background to date is defense systems avionics and automatic test equipment to be honest with ya.

But now moving into state of the art audio system applications.  I talked to a consultant earlier in the week and Dante came up centered around DSC's, FIR filters and such.  I was into pro audio before things "went digital" and after a career in the aircraft industry am moving back into audio.

Having the background and experience gained, it's still a formidable leap forward.  A guy darn near needs network architecture and engineering experience to even touch today's equipment.

Please do post the journey and results.

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 05:18:59 AM »

Just as an update, I haven't solved all of this yet. I've been working through the updates in my limited time windows which I can take the rig offline, but I'm having a real fight with updating my rio boxes. I will call Yamaha and sit on the phone with them next week and hopefully get the firmware all sorted. My whole rig was on Dante 3.0.8 or something like that and had been for a while.

The MY card turns out was not recieving dhcp through the console. That was a mispatch on my part. It's in a difficult spot to reach and I was unplugging it at the switch instead of crawling under my desk. Turns out I was not unplugging the MY card.

I found a mispatch where one secondary port was patched back into a primary port. This normally isn't a problem since I'm not running redundant networks, but this particular secondary port can not be put into switch mode, so it was no bueno. This mispatch didn't seem to be causing any troubles though. Still I'm glad I found it.

I still have the issue of a new clock master being elevated every 30-120 seconds.

Another problem I have is that I have no control over the network. I have an IT guy who manages that and he's tough to work with. Next week I'll be looking at the QOS settings with him as I've read another person had an issue with a device with a too-high QOS setting trying to always be the master.

Tim with the firmware and patching issues solved, I would suggest, if practical, moving the Dante devices to a separate basic switch (non otherwise connected to the larger corporate network), and see if the problems persist. The answer to this should give you a very clear indication of if the configuration or behaviour of the corporate switch is the problem or if the fault lies elsewhere (configuration, faulty device, faulty cables).

For the relatively small number of devices that seem to be involved, it should not be necessary for the test switch to have QOS or IGMP configured.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 09:56:12 PM »

Tim with the firmware and patching issues solved, I would suggest, if practical, moving the Dante devices to a separate basic switch (non otherwise connected to the larger corporate network), and see if the problems persist. The answer to this should give you a very clear indication of if the configuration or behaviour of the corporate switch is the problem or if the fault lies elsewhere (configuration, faulty device, faulty cables).

For the relatively small number of devices that seem to be involved, it should not be necessary for the test switch to have QOS or IGMP configured.

If a fully up-to-date set of firmwares doesn't fix it, I will be moving on to that as a method of troubleshooting.

My biggest issue is that Easter is coming (this is a church system) and I have limited windows in which I can really take the system offline. Wednesday and Thursday basically, but I work (youth service) in a different venue on wednesday night. So most of my big stuff happens on Thursdays.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2021, 02:14:38 AM »

Tim, if you do need to resume the conversation with your IT team, the following document will be essential:
https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/which-network-ports-does-dante-use

Also, I recommend downloading PTP trackhound which is like Wireshark optimised for PTP monitoring.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »

Tim, if you do need to resume the conversation with your IT team, the following document will be essential:
https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/which-network-ports-does-dante-use

Also, I recommend downloading PTP trackhound which is like Wireshark optimised for PTP monitoring.

Thanks for this. I am not an IT professional™ so things like this helps tremendously.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 08:36:03 PM »

I thought I'd come back with an update on this.

I'm not sure why or how but someday recently I fired up Dante Controller and noticed a pending update. It was for my MY16 card. Updated it and no morre problems! lol

I guess it was just the right recipe of firmware mismatches to cause the clock sync to randomly jump around. I don't know, but it's working again. I finally have plug ins on my desk again which is awesome.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »

I thought I'd come back with an update on this.

I'm not sure why or how but someday recently I fired up Dante Controller and noticed a pending update. It was for my MY16 card. Updated it and no morre problems! lol

I guess it was just the right recipe of firmware mismatches to cause the clock sync to randomly jump around. I don't know, but it's working again. I finally have plug ins on my desk again which is awesome.

Another day in digital-perfect world! ("digital perfect" was an early selling point for the Compact Disc, which proved neither perfect nor permanent).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.