ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New and exciting Dante frustrations.  (Read 6171 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: New and exciting Dante frustrations.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 12:06:46 AM »

Probably not. I will do that, but I couldn't Sunday or Monday. Now I have until this Thursday to either fix it or nuke the DSP so I can do another weekend of services.

This system has been stable for a while and so I haven't touched anything in probably two years.

I'd start here then, for sure; don't forget to update the Dante firmware on the PCIe card as well.

Good luck!

-Russ

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 01:17:17 PM »

set the CL as your master clock
All other Dante devices need to be set to slave
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »

set the CL as your master clock
All other Dante devices need to be set to slave

That didn't work. It was still jumping around. As far as I understand, setting a device as Preferred master is just that. A preference. Dante can still vote that device off the island and do what it needs to do.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jon Dees

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 04:51:48 PM »

That didn't work. It was still jumping around. As far as I understand, setting a device as Preferred master is just that. A preference. Dante can still vote that device off the island and do what it needs to do.

Was also going to suggest setting your desk as preferred master. I do have a PCIeR, multiple DVS instances (1 Mojave), QL5, Tios, x32, Blu-DA, and more on my Dante network. It has been stable in this configuration since November, at least. The last device we added was the PCIeR and no issues with integration. We are running Cisco and Netgear switches. You might try different network switches or complicated network diagnostics.

Everything did need to be in the Dante version 4.0.9 or higher to be happy. If anything is on Dante version 3 I would start with that first.

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 06:52:11 PM »

BTW an interesting thing I learned while experimenting is that if you have an MY16 Dante card in your desk it will show up on Dante Controller whether it is connected by ethernet or not. You can't actually airgap it from the main dante network. This is kinda frutrating because I was hoping to do a link-local connection between the MY card and the Rednet PCIeR. It wouldn't work because my MY card was getting DHCP from the Dante network through the desk.

Also it's interesting that if you just run a cat cable from the MY card to the PC you can't actually see the PC on Dante controller, but you can see the MY card. This is the same whether it is in redundant or switched mode. So the desk is passing network through to the MY card, but that card won't let you see anything past it's ports.

Hi Tim, Im running a MY card in both a QL5 and CL5 and can't get them to display this behavior.  When I pull the connection from either, they drop off of the Dante network.  Maybe this weird behavior is near the root of your issues?

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 08:53:20 PM »

Hi Tim, Im running a MY card in both a QL5 and CL5 and can't get them to display this behavior.  When I pull the connection from either, they drop off of the Dante network.  Maybe this weird behavior is near the root of your issues?

I have never observed this behaviour either, and indicates to me there is something else going on. I have seen some network switches drop multicast packets which can interfere with all aspects of Dante (PTP, device discovery, transport); with a small network the easiest way to test it for this is to take the devices onto a separate switch.

I’d strongly recommend keeping firmware up to date and setting a preferred master as a matter of course.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 09:39:11 PM »

I have never observed this behaviour either, and indicates to me there is something else going on. I have seen some network switches drop multicast packets which can interfere with all aspects of Dante (PTP, device discovery, transport); with a small network the easiest way to test it for this is to take the devices onto a separate switch.

I’d strongly recommend keeping firmware up to date and setting a preferred master as a matter of course.

Tim,
When you disconnected the cables from the MY card, can you confirm you did to both the primary and secondary. We are all assuming so, but it wasn't explicitly stated.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 09:53:32 PM »

What do the logs say?  There should be entries for every time a device is recognized and what it's clock status is after playing the "elect my 'clock leader'."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 03:15:58 PM »

What do the logs say?  There should be entries for every time a device is recognized and what it's clock status is after playing the "elect my 'clock leader'."

Tim W, I saw this behavior in a system with Dante Via running on PC, a Q-sys core and few other devices. The clock would bounce between the core and the computer running Dante Via. In the logs, you would see an endless loop of devices being elevated to Grandmaster.

In our case, the issue ended up being the Q-sys PTP Priority 1 set too 'low' (ie. a higher number). The fix was to change the PTP priority in the Core design from 254 to something like 150. (I don't remember the actual value, but it was a lower number than the default)

If you can set this on the new devices that broke things, see if one of them might have the PTP Priority 1 set to a level that makes it look like a good Master Clock when it should not be. A higher number moves that device 'down' the pecking order for clock selection.

Nathan Schwarzkopf

• NT Sound
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »

Tim,

It sounds to me like something is arriving late.  I had all kinds of problems with this lately.  It wont throw errors in DC but it will drop audio so you dont hear the clicks and pops.  There is a latency tab in DC to see when the packets arrive, I would check there first. Are you going point to point or are you going through a switch?  If you are going through a switch and it is managed, it could be a set up thing, or a set up thing on specific ports.  I also noticed mention of a core, is the QOS set to audinate?  Good luck, this can be a PITA.

Nathan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.