Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

How do you know the correct PC headphone OUT level to use?

(1/2) > >>

Mike Henderson:
Hey guys, with your pc connected to the Line IN on a Mixer, how does one know the correct Headphone Out level to use please, is this done by ear or by some other method please?

David Morison:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on March 05, 2021, 07:49:12 AM ---Hey guys, with your pc connected to the Line IN on a Mixer, how does one know the correct Headphone Out level to use please, is this done by ear or by some other method please?

--- End quote ---

Same way we check any level - activate the PFL function on that mixer input, turn gain up slowly till a healthy but non clipped signal shows on the meters while playing typical content on the source device.
I usually start with the source (ie PC) volume full up for this, as that way I'm less likely to be surprised by any unexpected jump in volume later.
If that's too loud for the mixer (ie you can't lower the gain enough to stay out of clipping), then pad that input either with onboard pad if the mixer is so equipped or outboard eg using a DI between PC and mixer.

HTH,
David.

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: David Morison on March 05, 2021, 08:32:18 AM ---Same way we check any level - activate the PFL function on that mixer input, turn gain up slowly till a healthy but non clipped signal shows on the meters while playing typical content on the source device.
I usually start with the source (ie PC) volume full up for this, as that way I'm less likely to be surprised by any unexpected jump in volume later.
If that's too loud for the mixer (ie you can't lower the gain enough to stay out of clipping), then pad that input either with onboard pad if the mixer is so equipped or outboard eg using a DI between PC and mixer.

HTH,
David.

--- End quote ---

Thx. What I think is to turn up the pc volume to have the mixer show only green led's, if it starts showing the yellow then I drop it back to green, would this work please?

David Morison:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on March 05, 2021, 09:06:49 AM ---Thx. What I think is to turn up the pc volume to have the mixer show only green led's, if it starts showing the yellow then I drop it back to green, would this work please?

--- End quote ---

On traditional analogue mixers that's pretty much it, yes, some digital mixers have slightly different calibration of their meters, so RTFM for your particular mixer to check.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, do this with the channel muted/fader down and only unmute/raise fader once you're sure your level isn't crazy high ;-)

Geert Friedhof:
You should use an USB interface. Sounds much better. Preferably with balanced outputs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version