ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: stage grounding question  (Read 5828 times)

charles strickland

Re: stage grounding question
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 10:17:22 PM »

Hi  Tim ,   I'm running 4/4 soow cable from the service   L14 50  to my motion labs distro in the amp rack. C S in. not sure how to config Keith's. T adapter but sounded like a good plan. I would be grateful for any help on how to make one. It would use the ground in my 4/4 to ground the stage back to the service just don't understand how to make the connection .  then there's the story.  I  went to a show just to hang out at the river ,power was genny with no grounding ( I looked.) barefoot stage hand steps on hot wire a gets the hell shocked out of him. Burned his foot      Lived to tell the story. was the bass player's rig.

charles strickland

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 12:25:16 AM »

Tim , could I run the ground from my distro pass through to the stage ?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 06:44:51 AM »

By using the term "pass through" I gather you have a distro with Camlocs.
The pass through will work.

One thing to note, this is a safety ground to help protect people.
I would not consider this lightening protection.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 06:55:10 AM »

Is it legal to use a spare outlet for this in your region?
I've grounded power distros using a spare outlet, connected a ground wire only to a plug, labelled it ground and inserted it to a spare socket. The wire ran to a earth rod connecting the stage + power ground together.

This passed local inspection in my region. Not saying it's best practice or legal in your region.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »

"It depends" if you're going for Code compliance or because the bass player shouldn't be given electricity... 

It's not Code compliant, but it will provide a measure of protection.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

charles strickland

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »

My first priority is the safety to those on stage. if the best way is to run a separate ground from the stage back to the service than that's what I will do . If there is another way to get the job done correctly, save some wire and or clean up the run back to the service I would prefer to do it that way. my connection at the distro is single wire twist connector. Using the pass through on the distro out ( not the receptacles on the back ) ground only to the the stage for safety ground was my thought for getting this done, Thanks.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 12:36:46 PM »

I don't see why using the pass through wouldn't work-I would make sure the connection is secure.   In the end, you are looking for a metallic path back to the service from the stage.

The only time I would be concerned is if there is more than one power source.  When using the pass through, the ground will be disconnected only when the power is disconnected which is the hazard from the powers supply.  Lightning, of course, is a different matter-but if lightning is a concern, standing on an outdoor stage is a bad idea period.
Steve Swaffer

charles strickland

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 12:56:58 PM »

The pass through is a locking C S plug, I will go  (ground only) out of it . 6 ga wire to the stage. should be clean and safe .  Thanks for your input.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 02:32:37 PM »

I don't see why using the pass through wouldn't work-I would make sure the connection is secure.   In the end, you are looking for a metallic path back to the service from the stage.

The only time I would be concerned is if there is more than one power source.  When using the pass through, the ground will be disconnected only when the power is disconnected which is the hazard from the powers supply.  Lightning, of course, is a different matter-but if lightning is a concern, standing on an outdoor stage is a bad idea period.

My read of Code was that the temporary structure grounding should not be disconnectable.  The reason I like the Cam-Lok T is because ground continuity will be assured until the lines serving the distro are de-energized.  The reason I don't like using the pass through is because the stage grounding can be disconnected while equipment on the stage remains powered.

In the situation where Charles is the only person who can, or will, be doing the connect and disconnect, either will serve the purpose of grounding the temporary stage structure.  I went looking in 2017 NEC 520 and 525 and it appears that previous edition references to temporary entertainment structures have been moved (I'm guessing to Art. 250).

I probably should read all of 250 again.  It's been a few years.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

charles strickland

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »

Good point Tim. I see  where the ground could be inadvertently disconnected but not accidently pulled loose due to the twist lock. The guys that work with me know no one touches the power but me  (ever ) End of show stage power goes off first , Then amps and console. Lastly main service. Will the T work with single cable with C S connectors ? where can I find  out info on them. Thank you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.