Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

stage grounding question

<< < (2/5) > >>

charles strickland:
  I am going 70 ft service to stage via 4/4 soow to distro in rack feeding all stage power from the distro.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: charles strickland on March 05, 2021, 01:03:29 PM ---  I am going 70 ft service to stage via 4/4 soow to distro in rack feeding all stage power from the distro.

--- End quote ---
In our application we had a T on the ground at the power distro near the stage and ran a cable to the stage frame from that T.

Before grounding the stage, we had a case where the stage gear truck that was backed up to the stage had pinched the feeder cable and the stage was "live"
It was pure luck that no one got hurt!

charles strickland:
I will go from the stage back to the service with the ground and if the inspector has me add a ground rod at the stage   I will. I just wonted  to use the best safety practice and not fry the band when the bass player drops a hot cable on the stage.

charles strickland:
Can I use stranded wire for my ground to the stage or do I need to use solid wire. Thanks.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: charles strickland on March 07, 2021, 01:41:39 PM ---Can I use stranded wire for my ground to the stage or do I need to use solid wire. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Charles, how are you getting power to the stage?  Extension cords from outlets "somewhere," or are you using feeder cable from "somewhere else" to a distro panel at the stage?  Or did I miss this detail...

The reason I ask - Keith Broughton's CamLok "T" is a simple and elegant solution IF you've got feeder and distro.  The alternative, running a lot of #6 to the panel that powers the outlets the extension cords are plugged into, isn't really attractive as you'll have to protect that grounding wire over the run.  The wire can be stranded or solid, IIRC.

Your earlier comment about the bass player dropping a hot cable on the stage makes me wonder if there's a back story or two...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version