ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: stage grounding question  (Read 5829 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: stage grounding question
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 04:20:29 PM »

My read of Code was that the temporary structure grounding should not be disconnectable.  The reason I like the Cam-Lok T is because ground continuity will be assured until the lines serving the distro are de-energized.  The reason I don't like using the pass through is because the stage grounding can be disconnected while equipment on the stage remains powered.

In the situation where Charles is the only person who can, or will, be doing the connect and disconnect, either will serve the purpose of grounding the temporary stage structure.  I went looking in 2017 NEC 520 and 525 and it appears that previous edition references to temporary entertainment structures have been moved (I'm guessing to Art. 250).

I probably should read all of 250 again.  It's been a few years.

I would agree-usually grounding splices are "non-reversible" for permanent connections.  When I said secured, I was thinking something like zip ties, etc. something that would require a tool or some effort to disconnect.  Might not meet the letter of the code-but certainly the spirit as long as a responsible person disconnects power before disconnecting grounding.
Steve Swaffer

charles strickland

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »

Sounds easy enough to make it two steps to be able to remove it. code enforcement around here is more code and less enforcement. My main goal was to insure the safety of the stage. 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »

I also use a CS connected feeder to my distro. I modified the distro ( yes, I know it isn’t UL but my clients don’t care) to add a brass stud where the original internal ground was terminated. I have a #6 with crimp rings on both ends. I put one on the ground stud on the distro and connect the other end to the stage.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

charles strickland

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the the  help . This is such a great place, full of knowable people kind enough to take the time to share it with us. Charles

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.