Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

stage grounding question

<< < (3/5) > >>

charles strickland:
  Hi  Tim ,   I'm running 4/4 soow cable from the service   L14 50  to my motion labs distro in the amp rack. C S in. not sure how to config Keith's. T adapter but sounded like a good plan. I would be grateful for any help on how to make one. It would use the ground in my 4/4 to ground the stage back to the service just don't understand how to make the connection .  then there's the story.  I  went to a show just to hang out at the river ,power was genny with no grounding ( I looked.) barefoot stage hand steps on hot wire a gets the hell shocked out of him. Burned his foot      Lived to tell the story. was the bass player's rig.

charles strickland:
 Tim , could I run the ground from my distro pass through to the stage ?

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: charles strickland on March 08, 2021, 12:25:16 AM --- Tim , could I run the ground from my distro pass through to the stage ?

--- End quote ---
By using the term "pass through" I gather you have a distro with Camlocs.
The pass through will work.

One thing to note, this is a safety ground to help protect people.
I would not consider this lightening protection.

Helge A Bentsen:
Is it legal to use a spare outlet for this in your region?
I've grounded power distros using a spare outlet, connected a ground wire only to a plug, labelled it ground and inserted it to a spare socket. The wire ran to a earth rod connecting the stage + power ground together.

This passed local inspection in my region. Not saying it's best practice or legal in your region.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: charles strickland on March 08, 2021, 12:25:16 AM --- Tim , could I run the ground from my distro pass through to the stage ?

--- End quote ---
"It depends" if you're going for Code compliance or because the bass player shouldn't be given electricity... 

It's not Code compliant, but it will provide a measure of protection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version