ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI, MacMini and QU  (Read 2717 times)

Stephen Swaffer

MIDI, MacMini and QU
« on: February 23, 2021, 12:51:42 PM »

What am I missing?  I have been told (I think on here) that MIDI setup should allow me to route different apps to different channels on the mixer (mixer is seen as a soundcard/device on the mac, but when I look at the audio setup it tells me the QU has no controls.

I use propresentor and iTunes-and when we are playing prelude music pre/post service (pre being the biggest issue), I cannot cue up anything-or as I did Sunday I accidentally triggered a video playback from the desktop (a feature of Macs I hate) making people jump.  If I could get iTunes to it's own channels, my workflow would be much smoother.

Changing to an SQ in about 10 days-but not sure if that changes setup at all.
Steve Swaffer

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: MIDI, MacMini and QU
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:49 PM »

What am I missing?  I have been told (I think on here) that MIDI setup should allow me to route different apps to different channels on the mixer (mixer is seen as a soundcard/device on the mac, but when I look at the audio setup it tells me the QU has no controls.

I use propresentor and iTunes-and when we are playing prelude music pre/post service (pre being the biggest issue), I cannot cue up anything-or as I did Sunday I accidentally triggered a video playback from the desktop (a feature of Macs I hate) making people jump.  If I could get iTunes to it's own channels, my workflow would be much smoother.

Changing to an SQ in about 10 days-but not sure if that changes setup at all.

I do not know of a way to send different applications to different channels of an interface on a Mac using just the built in Audio Midi Setup function. [Well, I do know one weird workaround but it would take an hour to explain it and only really works for one particular setup I use]. Unless the application has the ability to choose specific interface channels natively, it will default to the system audio output and audio from ALL open applications will go to that same output.

The solution to this that I use is a program called Loopback. It's a little pricey but it basically gives you the ability to route application audio to other applications or to specific interface outputs or any number of other things. It has saved me numerous times from head scratching "how come I can't do that?" problems, so it's been well worth the money to me. You can also use the same license on multiple machines [I'm ashamed to admit how many Macs I've got right now] so that helps ease the pain a little as well.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 01:45:50 AM »

The solution to this that I use is a program called Loopback. It's a little pricey but it basically gives you the ability to route application audio to other applications or to specific interface outputs or any number of other things. It has saved me numerous times from head scratching "how come I can't do that?" problems, so it's been well worth the money to me. You can also use the same license on multiple machines [I'm ashamed to admit how many Macs I've got right now] so that helps ease the pain a little as well.

+1 for loopback.  It's a fantastic tool for wiring audio around in ways that OSX doesn't natively allow.  It'll effectively let you share an interface between multiple apps which is exactly what you're looking for.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »

Couple of things: MIDI isn't audio, it's a control protocol - I know it gets convoluted in MacOS because they oddly put the MIDI setup in a not-that-easy-to-find menu item with the Audio setup...
next, you should try using the free version of QLab instead of iTunes. Far better for this purpose.
Brian is exactly right about Loopback. I tried to avoid spending the dough, but now that I have, it's a life saver.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:55:42 PM »

I understand what MIDI is-didn't understand why someone thought that would work.  We have a QLab license, so maybe I should look into that-but I also have Hijack, so maybe adding Loopback is my best bet.  Just seems like I shouldn't have to buy software to do something with media on a Mac that I can do on a PC with ease.

Do I have to start Loopback, or can I make it run every time the Mac is booted?  I would like this to be as user friendly as possible.
Steve Swaffer

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »

I understand what MIDI is-didn't understand why someone thought that would work.
Ok, no problem. Just checking.

We have a QLab license, so maybe I should look into that-but I also have Hijack, so maybe adding Loopback is my best bet.  Just seems like I shouldn't have to buy software to do something with media on a Mac that I can do on a PC with ease.
You don't need a license for the 2-channel version.
You can use your PC if you don't want to use QLab I guess...

Do I have to start Loopback, or can I make it run every time the Mac is booted?  I would like this to be as user friendly as possible.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh15189/mac
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.