Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Loud Speaker System for Playing with Drums?

(1/3) > >>

Marc Moberg:
First off I don't know much about Audio. Just saying. I am wanting a good quality sounding Audio System with a Subwoofer that is Loud enough to be Heard over my Drumset & also be used as a Movie Sound System for my TV. I will be hooking it up to either a TV or my Laptop & playing Rock, Blues & Hard Rock Music or Movies that way. I will be using it for playing along with my Drums & for a better sound system for my TV as well. Don't have to be Surround Sound. Just needs to be a Quality Sound System that is Loud but not Audiophile Quality. Need to be able to hear the Dialogue from a Movie or TV Show Better as well. So it has to be a good decent sound to it, Loud enough to be heard over my Drumset & be decent for a TV Sound System for Dialogue. I have a Budget of about $800. Not Much I know but I'm not looking for Top of the Line Stuff. Any Advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: madmaxnightrider on March 02, 2021, 02:58:45 PM ---First off I don't know much about Audio. Just saying. I am wanting a good quality sounding Audio System with a Subwoofer that is Loud enough to be Heard over my Drumset & also be used as a Movie Sound System for my TV. I will be hooking it up to either a TV or my Laptop & playing Rock, Blues & Hard Rock Music or Movies that way. I will be using it for playing along with my Drums & for a better sound system for my TV as well. Don't have to be Surround Sound. Just needs to be a Quality Sound System that is Loud but not Audiophile Quality. Need to be able to hear the Dialogue from a Movie or TV Show Better as well. So it has to be a good decent sound to it, Loud enough to be heard over my Drumset & be decent for a TV Sound System for Dialogue. I have a Budget of about $800. Not Much I know but I'm not looking for Top of the Line Stuff. Any Advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Geert Friedhof:
$800 for any decent 2 tops and a sub is going to be tough. But you could start with 2 fairly decent active tops, and buy a sub later. Look for 10"-12" speakers from Yamaha, RCF, EV, maybe Turbosound and JBL.

Active means that the amplifiers are built into the speaker. You will also want a simple mixer.

Woody Nuss:
Have you given thought to headphones or in-ears instead? You will be able to hear the dialog and music much more clearly and at a lower / safer volume. Get a good pair of in-ears for drumming from Sennheiser or Shure or wherever and a soundbar for watching TV.

Luke Geis:
The best bang for the buck will be the EV ZLX line. You will want a mixer of some sort. A little Behringer 2 channel can be had for around $50. I think you will have to wait on a sub though unless you can live without stereo. Just about any powered speaker worth even thinking about starts at about $350 each. Subs are a little more expensive. Going used can stretch your dollar, but buying a used sub and having it shipped is a tough bargain. If you buy from most online dealers new it is often easy to get free or next to free shipping. With taxes, I suspect each speaker will cost you about $400. If you find a speaker cheaper than $350 from ANY of the standard names, it is not worth even considering. JBL, EV, QSC, RCF, Mackie, and Turbosound are about the only options and several of them won't have something in your budget.

The brands to stay away from speaker-wise include Harbinger, Behringer, Seismic Audio, Alto ( they do have some hidden gems though ), or any other name that isn't above. If you ask me though, EV provides about the best you can get for the dollar. JBL comes in next with at least a full line-up of speakers in that market segment ( EV doesn't have a ZLX sub for instance ). Alto is hit or miss. They are an OEM company meaning they have their brand, but also supply exact products to other companies who slap their name on it. The Headrush FR line comes to mind. Another FRFR guitar-based speaker has also been recently released that is a Behringer product. OEM brands are a hard pass, because if another company can buy the product and rebrand it for enough to still make a profit on, you know it is DIRT CHEAP to make. EV to the best of my knowledge doesn't sell to other companies as an OEM supplier and still provides a competitively priced product that performs above its price point. JBL's EON is not great, but at least has a full offering that includes subs. QSC has their CP line; I am not a fan.... Turbosound is owned by Behringer now ( Music Group technically, but Behringer ) and is not bad, but not great and will be pricier than most budget options. RCF is going to provide the best product in the market segment, but is also going to be priced significantly higher.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version