ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review  (Read 38615 times)

Joel Mevis

Re: JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »

Hi All,
I just wanted to share my experience with our new JBL SRX835p pair.

For reference, our church is a 500 seat auditorium with corner stage in a big square layout.

Our previous speakers were 4 QSC K12's spread across the bulkhead. The reason we switched was the QSC's struggled in the midrange clarity when pushed. They were great for low level, but that was it. We rarely go over 90db.

My theory was that a 3 way would provide better midrange clarity by having a dedicated driver for mostly vocals, while it frees the woofer to only have to go up to 500hz and the compression driver only has to do 2khz and up. Also, the drivers are working in their optimal bandwidth, so dispersion is very even at 60 deg.

By clustering 2 to cover 120 deg, the sound is very even across the room, and cuts off sharply near the walls.

The result so far is superior vocal clarity. Which is important for the sermon and worship music. A surprise bonus is amazing mid bass that the QSC's couldn't do. The JBL's have a nice hump around 60-120hz, where the dual 18" sub on the floor and take over the 40-80hz range. So the bass actually sounds like its coming from the mains which is nice.

I'm a little dissappointed by the highs, even after alot of EQ'ing. They don't seem to extend to the extreme top end. I was hoping for a little more 'delicacy' and detail in the highs, but maybe they just need some break in hours?

So the speakers can effortlessly project 100+db volumes for such a large auditorium. I'm very impressed. With the trade in on the 4 QSC's, the $2000 difference made a huge improvement.

I will post an update after our service tomorrow. (Mostly rock type worship)

Trevor, did you find that by simply pushing the boxes together you got 120 degrees of coverage? Or did you space them out further? I am wondering if the boxes were designed this way?  We are seriously looking in to these for our church.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:53:09 PM by Joel Mevis »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »

Trevor, did you find that by simply pushing the boxes together you got 120 degrees of coverage? Or did you space them out further? I am wondering if the boxes were designed this way?  We are seriously looking in to these for our church.

I might as well be the first,  that rigging looks to have multiple issues.  You might want to bring back in the guy who put up the batten bar.

Those more versed will be able to give you a detailed explanation but the chain is generally frowned on and requires inspection, the side load eye bolt.  Safety is job 1. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »

I might as well be the first,  that rigging looks to have multiple issues.  You might want to bring back in the guy who put up the batten bar.

Those more versed will be able to give you a detailed explanation but the chain is generally frowned on and requires inspection, the side load eye bolt.  Safety is job 1.
Scott, those photos are from the OP back in February. :)

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »

Scott, those photos are from the OP back in February. :)

Ray

Ooops, sorry

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »

Ooops, sorry
Hehee no worries. We've had several zombie threads lately. Haha.

-r
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »

Hehee no worries. We've had several zombie threads lately. Haha.

-r

Speaking of zombie threads,  I am sure you saw the thread on humorous band names.  I always wanted to put together an all girl metal band called the zombie vaginas.  That one never got off the ground, or shall we say the gutter.

Ducking and running as usual.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Vitalii Shalamov

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »

That dip you're seeing is probably a cancellation due to either a reflection (maybe off of the metal ceiling) or interference from the other box. You said you got a hole when you splayed them further than 30 degrees...could it have been cancellation causing a dip in HF instead? Are they splayed 30º total, or 30º per box?

RTA is really not the correct tool for this. You need a multi-channel measurement system so you can run a transfer function.

hello.
I have the same loudspeakers (jbl srx835). and I have very similar frequency response. dips: 300hz and 2500hz. peak 14000hz. did you get information about the origin of these dips?
thank you
Motu 1248
Crown i-Tech 4x3500HD
JBL SRX835
JBL VTX G28

Vitalii Shalamov

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »

Here is the gated response I did at 1m using REW and MiniDSP Umic with cal file. As you can see the 3 way has a pretty narrow beam width compared to the more traditional 2 ways. (60 deg vs 90) So I believe the splay is correct. Any more, and there was an audible hole in the centre isle.
I've tried to bring up the dip at 2.5k and drop the peak at 12k. But that 12k peak could be the culprit. This week I intend to RTA and EQ around the room with my mic and laptop, and get it flatter. This is using the DBX 260, but I wondering if I would get better results with the new JBL iPad app for EQ, Just need to run a network cable up to the speakers.
Keep you posted.

hello.
I have the same loudspeakers (jbl srx835). and I have very similar frequency response. dips: 300hz and 2500hz. peak 14000hz. did you get information about the origin of these dips?
thank you
Motu 1248
Crown i-Tech 4x3500HD
JBL SRX835
JBL VTX G28

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.