ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XR32 Compact with unskilled operators  (Read 2700 times)

John Fallows

XR32 Compact with unskilled operators
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »

Hi ... new here so hope I am posting correctly. Looking for some guidance

I look after the AV at our small church (70 members) in UK. We currently have a 16 channel Studiomaster analog mixer which is 25 years old. I am considering whether we should upgrade to an X32 Compact. As well as leveraging all the additional features a key factor is to enable the music group and the minister to control some aspects of the mix using iPad/Android devices away from the sound desk. I am pretty competent with technical stuff but a number of the people who would operate the mixer are very non-technical and really need to be 'locked down' so they can only perform quite basic tasks - pretty much just controlling or muting the channel volumes for the mikes and any audio input (clavinova, CD, laptop running Easy worship).

I am worried that someone could accidentally hit a random button and wander off into the depths of the complex features and never find their way back to the main mix functions. Is it possible to configure the X32 Compact to restrict particular users or groups in this way? I can see there are many configuration options but I haven't been able to get my head round them just by reading manuals etc. If I could be sure that this is possible then I'm sure I can work out how to do it when we buy the mixer.

The same applies to the minister & lay worker using tablet/phone. They just need to be able to perform similar simple changes to a few channels - basically when they are running a service without AV support so they don't need to keep running to the back of the church to modify settings.

Thanks

John

I look after the AV setup for our church with about 70 members

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: XR32 Compact with unskilled operators
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »

That is a real possibility.  In the world of audio, today we are in the golden age of gadgetry.  The golden age of analog was the 70's, digital was born in the 80's and came into it's own in the 90's - where to go from there?

Some basic familiarization training on how to "find home" should suffice.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 11:36:09 PM »

AFAIK, there's no way to lock down the mixer on the surface itself to limit access to specific functions.  Someone that wanted to muck with settings certainly could.

The neat thing though, is you can save all of the settings, so once you get it set up the way you want, you can easily reset the board to that state after someone's had their hands on it.

The native app is the same way. It gives full control without the ability to add restrictions.

However, there's a third party app called Mixing Station that lets you customize what the app looks like and what controls you want to make available.  It's pretty easy to work with and could let you build a simple profile for the inexperienced users.
Brian Jojade

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 02:56:58 AM »

There is no way to lock down an x32 without locking it completely.  There’s also no way to write protect your scenes (this has bit me, backups are valuable).

I haven’t spent time extensively with all the consoles out there but Yamaha in the M7 and LS series did the best volunteer user lockdown that I’ve seen.  Not sure if the TF maintained it.

Mixing station is a valid option for creating what is essentially a custom user interface.  Great app, love it.

Sounds like you may also need to be careful about having too many cooks in the kitchen.  A bunch of people trying to make adjustments at the same time can end poorly.  It’s why I rarely try to mix from the pew when someone else is sitting the console.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »

with all of this stated the best answer is to create a usb thumb drive with a stored copy of the default profiles to allow you to wipe the mixer and set back up to a standard configuration. 

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 12:07:05 PM »

with all of this stated the best answer is to create a usb thumb drive with a stored copy of the default profiles to allow you to wipe the mixer and set back up to a standard configuration.

AKA the "Home Sweet Home" recovery plan!

If/when having to implement the DEFCON 1 reset, it might be nice to download what "didn't work" so a bit of forensic analysis could undertaken when time permitted.  Then walk the initiator through the path they took to get there and the way out of the forest.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 12:10:09 PM by Steve-White »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »

With the latest firmwares an option came to load a scene from your usb-stick automatically. That may help in your case...?

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »

There's a security section in the android mixing station app that lets you lock out buses. Haven't used it but it might be worth a look.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »

Maybe look at the Allen Heath QU series. You can setup password protected levels
of operation on the surface and the remote APP. They also have an APP called QU Control that you can set up very specific functions like just controlling certain channel faders.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.