ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody Working?  (Read 15069 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Anybody Working?
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2021, 05:16:32 PM »

As of June 30, both Washington and Oregon are "fully open" -- whatever that means. So, in theory, we should be able to have gigs and go to restaurants and whatnot without restrictions.

I'm still seeing some masks in the stores. What's less clear is who's wearing masks: is it really people who aren't vaccinated, or is it people who ARE vaccinated doing virtue signalling? Everyone has been eligible for vaccination for over two months by now, and when I went for my second dose at the mass vax site, the providers were mostly standing around doing nothing waiting for people to show up. That means those not vaccinated fall into a few groups:
  • Medically unable
  • Unable to get to a vaccination clinic or don't know how to
  • Procrastinators
  • Fearful of vaccine / Antivaxxers

To the first group, I'd say, "I'm sorry." To the second group, I'd say "How can I help?" To the third group I'd say "Get off your ass and get vaxxed!" To the fourth group I'd say "Freakin' lemmings." (That fourth group would say the same to me, I'm sure. Groupthink can go both ways.)

I would say there are some that have been vaccinated that are acting as lemmings-and some that are not vaccinated that are the same.

I am also sure there are people in both groups that are not acting as lemmings.  They have looked at the evidence (not from media!), considered their personal experience and not personal situation and made a decision that they hope is right based on their analysis of the risk vs reward.  There is most certainly a risk and most certainly a reward.

I have no idea how large that “thinking” group is-hopefully a very large percentage.  I hope we all learn to be considerate of others realizing that those that we see wearing masks may well have a very real concern and reason for doing so and those who decline the vaccine may have reasons just the same.

I’m concerned the divisiveness that has resulted may be more harmful than the disease-it certainly isn’t helping mental health.
Steve Swaffer

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »

I am also sure there are people in both groups that are not acting as lemmings.  They have looked at the evidence (not from media!), considered their personal experience and not personal situation and made a decision that they hope is right based on their analysis of the risk vs reward.  There is most certainly a risk and most certainly a reward.

I have no idea how large that “thinking” group is-hopefully a very large percentage.  I hope we all learn to be considerate of others realizing that those that we see wearing masks may well have a very real concern and reason for doing so and those who decline the vaccine may have reasons just the same.

I’m concerned the divisiveness that has resulted may be more harmful than the disease-it certainly isn’t helping mental health.

Agreed.  It's very far from 'smart people get the shot, dumb/ignorant/wild-eyed people don't'.  There are both immediate and far-ranging risks, and potential risks, that are very serious on both sides.  Most of which we won't know for another 5-ish years.  What about miscarriages from the shot?  That will take time to sort out for a definitive answer, but that risk isn't something to be taken lightly. 

Most people I know of that are waiting, are doing so until there is enough independent info to make a well-informed decision. 

I was reminded recently that people's medical information is private; using it as a way to condemn others is wrong, regardless of which side of the fence we're on.  I'm seeing that already - I have many relatives on both sides of the fence that are destroying our large, extended family because of this.  That's beyond sad.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2021, 06:34:19 PM »

I would say there are some that have been vaccinated that are acting as lemmings-and some that are not vaccinated that are the same.

How about comparing the Japanese idiom, "The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered down", vs the Disney tale about the lemmings? When I see people conforming I never know if they are dumb or exceedingly wise.

Astute and compassionate observation. I concur.
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »

When I looked at the numbers and my health conditions, should I have contracted COVID I most likely would have recovered with minimal to no long term effects. But my circle of influence includes people whom I love who would be much more vulnerable. Further, the statistical risk of complications from the vaccine seemed to be far lower than the statistical risk of complications from the disease. Doing the math, it seemed to me that accepting the vaccine posed a far lower risk than rejecting it.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2021, 08:32:16 PM »

When I looked at the numbers and my health conditions, should I have contracted COVID I most likely would have recovered with minimal to no long term effects. But my circle of influence includes people whom I love who would be much more vulnerable. Further, the statistical risk of complications from the vaccine seemed to be far lower than the statistical risk of complications from the disease. Doing the math, it seemed to me that accepting the vaccine posed a far lower risk than rejecting it.
The severity of infection seems pretty random from what I've seen.  Overall health may be a factor, but not much of one.  This is the most scary part of Covid to me.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2021, 01:11:41 AM »

The severity of infection seems pretty random from what I've seen.  Overall health may be a factor, but not much of one.  This is the most scary part of Covid to me.

^^^ This.

Overall health isn't a consistent indicator of severity, although it may be related to long-haul Covid (the kind that healthier, younger people are getting and likely to have for a year or longer).  If a person has co-morbidity factors like diabetes, COPD, heart disease etc, that person is more likely to end up in ICU and on a ventilator.  Better general health may mean an infection that keeps on giving...  Qualitatively, it's more of case of do you die slowly (or wonder each day if you'll ever recover) or take the express lane to ICU and hope you're among the 65-70% recovery rate.

I'm very concerned for the folks who've not been vaccinated, and particularly those persons who are medically ineligible to receive a vaccine - because they rely solely on community immunity for their protection.  In Kansas we're at 44% vaccination rate; higher in the metro areas and university towns, lower in rural areas.  The further out the physical location (or paranoid thinking), the less likely there will be community immunity to help the medically ineligible.

I mentioned previously about pundits and prognosticators predicting a Covid variant wave of infections and hospitalizations in October.  Right now I'm not sure we'll get to mid-Sept before things get bad again.

Don't give up your mask stash yet...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2021, 09:24:26 PM »

I can attest to the variability.  For me the Covid experience was much like a bad cold.  After 10, days I went for the test as I had a Dentist appt the following week.  3 days later I get the call that I'm positive.   Definately not a false positive as I give blood regularly and am still testing positive for antibodies.

Day I got the call was the best I'd felt in 2 weeks.   We were in the middle of a remodel and unable to really isolate me.  My wife did not and still does not test positive.  Carpenter I was working with is the same.

I got my first shot o'Pfizer and it kicked me to the curb for a week.  Way worse than anything I felt when I actually had it.  Nurse warned me that it might take for a ride and so it did.  Seond shot I had no reaction at all...  was wondering if the second was saline...  I 'm good friends with the county public health nurse- we've played music together - She was the one who called.  We talked a couple of weeks ago, maybe some upcoming gigs (Yay!)  She is sooo burned out on Covid and the non-vaxxed...  apparently gives the talk 10 times a day still...

So, last night I had my first gig in ages.  Sound and video projection for a celebration of life.  A ton of logistical stuff had to happen, piano rental, mutltiple projectors, video camera to record the presentations.  There were 6 or 8 presenters, 5 to 8 minutes each. The deceased was a bit larger than life.  Had a knack for really bring people in.   Heli ski operator in AK, went down last winter.  His clientel wanted to send him off in style and has the means. (Yay!)   

So.. in between the first three speakers I swap the mic bodies.  Bring them back for a wipe down with the clorox wipes and changed out the foam wind screen.  I'm about to swap out for the fourth and...  stopped.   I could sense that I was really just annoying these folks.  They were so not into it.

What I was sure was going to be seen as thorough and safety conscious simply was not.  Ultimately after reading the room, I felt conflicted but given the nature of the event, decided it was not my place to be intrusive.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2021, 09:41:31 PM »

Yesterday's gig was municipal park (a very nice park, perm stage, good power, dock...) for ~2500.

We provided stacks 'n' racks for the headliner and full production for the support.  We wiped down vocal mics as we built stands.  A quick poll showed 90% of artists/crew vaccinated.  Not sure about the audience.

Normal work day - 8am in with full production, artist at noon for a 3pm sound check, support checks starting at 4, gates at 530p for a 7 start.

Our concert venue work is picking back up with "normal" stipulated capacities for those rooms.  If I were 3 people...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2021, 02:37:38 AM »

Just finished a 16hr afternoon / evening double header with one band.
SO MANY happy audiencers.  Fun show.  First real show at one of my regular venues.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Ed Taylor

« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »

Just finished a 16hr afternoon / evening double header with one band.
SO MANY happy audiencers.  Fun show.  First real show at one of my regular venues.
hey good for you Dave!

it's hit n miss here in the Carlinas. The large shops are busy, but large, means national level stuff. The small venue things...merchant funded etc...they seem to be scraping bottom for local talent that can bring their own PA. Weddings have yet to get back to the size where they need pro audio for ceremony  let alone live band for reception...so I've gotten some small town festival work  but not a lot. I've gotten the call to 1099 it for a large national and i'm now onboard offiicially..but they know that my ability to travel is very limited, and I'm not that good a pro A1...so I am the solution when it's a smaller stage, non-national act, etc.  Looks like that calendar will be healthy come early FAll season.
in the meantime, the oppty came my way to return to a church staff position...regular work, regular income, warm in winter, cool in summer, and the gear lives there...so, yeah... I surrender..my rig can sit in the trailer if need be, I'll take the church gig, and the call to move faders on someone elses rig.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.