ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace my Danley TH115's with...?  (Read 6750 times)

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Replace my Danley TH115's with...?
« on: February 21, 2021, 03:14:02 PM »

Hey guys,

Been running 6 Danley TH-115's for a few years now (3 per side). They play loud but I'm not super happy with the way they sound. I've tried to put my finger on it but really the more I mess with delays and EQ's the more frustrated I get. I have a smaller rig that I use JBL SRX718's with and I like them a lot, they're lightweight and the straightforward design I think lends itself to being more accurate. I was thinking about selling my TH's and going to 4x front firing 18's per side (two double 18 cabs per side) instead. I've been searching around to see who has what and it seems like I'm either finding flyable boxes that are $5-10k each or what I would consider more prosumer offerings like the QSC181's. Not saying anything bad about either of those options but I'm looking for something to be ground stacked. I keep dreaming of a pair of BC218's but they're insanely expensive, and they weigh like 700 lbs. Anyone have a recommendation for a double 18" front firing sub they have used and love? There is only so much I can glean from a spec sheet. I'd be open to other suggestions too I just think the front firing is going to have the best sonic characteristics, maybe I'm wrong. I heard some Renkus Heinz boxes at NAMM two years ago that I liked but honestly I'm kind of lost here. I assumed I would do passive boxes but if active is where its at I'm open to that too. Sorry for the rambling post.
Ryan Davis

Luis_Marquez

Re: Replace my Danley TH115's with...?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 03:56:24 PM »

Since you have Danley, why not stay on Danley. Don’t know if you can demo the TH118xl. I read it plays lower and louder. I hope users can chime in. I have one th118 and very happy and that’s not being properly powered/ processed.

For 218, JBL SRX828sp active wins as top value. JTR speaker offers an excellent double 18 in passive or active versions.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 04:42:07 PM »

How about J subs?  It's also a cardioid sub right out of the box, with 3x18". And there are some pretty good used deals to be had out there now.
I have some TH-115s and TH-118s that I really like, but it is a pretty different sound than front loaded.  Maybe you just prefer that sound of front loaded subs...

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »

Check out BASSBOSS.  David is building some fantastic subs.

Hey guys,

Been running 6 Danley TH-115's for a few years now (3 per side). They play loud but I'm not super happy with the way they sound. I've tried to put my finger on it but really the more I mess with delays and EQ's the more frustrated I get. I have a smaller rig that I use JBL SRX718's with and I like them a lot, they're lightweight and the straightforward design I think lends itself to being more accurate. I was thinking about selling my TH's and going to 4x front firing 18's per side (two double 18 cabs per side) instead. I've been searching around to see who has what and it seems like I'm either finding flyable boxes that are $5-10k each or what I would consider more prosumer offerings like the QSC181's. Not saying anything bad about either of those options but I'm looking for something to be ground stacked. I keep dreaming of a pair of BC218's but they're insanely expensive, and they weigh like 700 lbs. Anyone have a recommendation for a double 18" front firing sub they have used and love? There is only so much I can glean from a spec sheet. I'd be open to other suggestions too I just think the front firing is going to have the best sonic characteristics, maybe I'm wrong. I heard some Renkus Heinz boxes at NAMM two years ago that I liked but honestly I'm kind of lost here. I assumed I would do passive boxes but if active is where its at I'm open to that too. Sorry for the rambling post.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »

Hey guys,

JTR may have some front loaded subs to interest you. Both 2-18 and 2-15's seem to get good reviews.

https://www.jtrspeakers.com/pro-audio

Douglas R. Allen

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 05:54:28 PM »

If new, I would look into Fulcrum TS221 or EAW SB2001.
If used, EAW SB1000.
If cheap, whatever decent in my local used market. Bought 12 RCF 2x18" for around $3000 a while back.

If money no issue, EAW Otto. By far the best sub I've ever been fortunate enough to use.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »

+1 to both the BassBoss and JTR offerings.

May i ask what it is about the TH115's sound that seems off?
(i ask because the TH-118's sound a little 'huh?' to me too...compared to a front loaded horn or well done bass reflex...)

If DIY is an option, i can vouch for a couple of BMS 18n862's in a vented cabinet.
About $1400 a box to build. Easy build, can send plans if interested.

Martin Morris

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »

Hey guys,

Ryan,

I see from another post you are using a TEF analyzer:
"Hey Art, are you talking about the gradations on the RTA? I'm using a TEF 20 and I have options for 5, 3, and 1dB gradations."

Have you looked at the TH115's with the TEF?

What's the time domain looking like and the interaction with your mains? - if you're not using Danley tops with Danely presets I would set some time aside and look into the time domain of the whole system. How the phase traces overlap etc ... Allpass filters ... wink wink ...

What DSP are you using?

cheers
Martin
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Martin Morris

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 09:56:02 PM »

Hey guys,

Ryan,

see attached TEF measurement from Danley - that's a very usable passband to work with. Does a single TH115 look close to this? which was also measured with a TEF - if not investigate further. Are the drivers 18sound or B&C? - I think they may have swapped driver manufacturers over the years ...

How's the Mag & Phase compare? and what is it about a double 18 reflex cab that you like? - once you find one you like, measure it and apply a bit of that voicing to your TH's. And yeah I get that some of the uniqueness of a double 18 reflex cab won't be able to be reproduced.

Also, see Duane's thread on transient response, and Art nailed it ...
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,175091.0.html

No need for getting the checkbook out  ... just yet anyway.

cheers
Martin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:32:51 PM by Martin Morris »
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 11:14:37 PM »

Check out BASSBOSS.  David is building some fantastic subs.

Thanks for the recommendation, Doug!
Ryan Davis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 11:14:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.