ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure SLX14 Troubleshoot / Determine Faulty Transmitter or Reciever  (Read 1317 times)

Kenny James

Hi, we have a pretty old Shure SLX14 system that is not receiving (or outputting) audio signals. Just trying to determine if there are ANY troubleshooting steps to help determine if it's most likely the transmitter or receiver so we could look into getting a used device to replace.

The SLX1 transmitter has a Countryman E6 headset mic as the input device. It powers up and is able to adjust group/channel.

The SLX4 receiver powers up and was able to do an auto channel scan and then sync to the transmitter via infrared. So both devices are definitely on the same frequency (according to displays). I'm testing in my room with no distance between the two.

But the SLX4 receiver ONLY displays the group & channel on the LCD screen. NO other lights or indicators ever come on. So:
- No 'Ready' light ever comes on
- No antenna indicator on the LCD screen
- No audio levels on the level meter LEDs when checking or speaking into mic

On transmitter, I've tried different level settings (e.g, 0db, Mic, etc.) and ensured it is not muted. Tried different group/channel combos, etc.

UNFORTUNATELY, we do not have a 2nd system to test or debug with. And since these are discontinued, I'm doubting I would find one in a retail store or rental facility to test against either.

- Are there ANY tests or troubleshooting steps I can do to determine which device may be bad???

Thanks. I've seen a couple used SLX4 or SLX1 devices for around $100 or so, so if we could figure out which to try it might get us wireless back without spending a lot (we are pretty limited on funds).

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Shure SLX14 Troubleshoot / Determine Faulty Transmitter or Reciever
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 07:24:00 PM »

Please go to your profile and enter your full name in the display name field as required by the rules.

Thank you.

Hi, we have a pretty old Shure SLX14 system that is not receiving (or outputting) audio signals. Just trying to determine if there are ANY troubleshooting steps to help determine if it's most likely the transmitter or receiver so we could look into getting a used device to replace.

The SLX1 transmitter has a Countryman E6 headset mic as the input device. It powers up and is able to adjust group/channel.

The SLX4 receiver powers up and was able to do an auto channel scan and then sync to the transmitter via infrared. So both devices are definitely on the same frequency (according to displays). I'm testing in my room with no distance between the two.

But the SLX4 receiver ONLY displays the group & channel on the LCD screen. NO other lights or indicators ever come on. So:
- No 'Ready' light ever comes on
- No antenna indicator on the LCD screen
- No audio levels on the level meter LEDs when checking or speaking into mic

On transmitter, I've tried different level settings (e.g, 0db, Mic, etc.) and ensured it is not muted. Tried different group/channel combos, etc.

UNFORTUNATELY, we do not have a 2nd system to test or debug with. And since these are discontinued, I'm doubting I would find one in a retail store or rental facility to test against either.

- Are there ANY tests or troubleshooting steps I can do to determine which device may be bad???

Thanks. I've seen a couple used SLX4 or SLX1 devices for around $100 or so, so if we could figure out which to try it might get us wireless back without spending a lot (we are pretty limited on funds).
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 04:49:56 PM »

Depending on your frequency group some places still have a few assorted SLX components and systems in stock.

In about a years time I've three SLX receivers do what you have described and all needed sent back to Shure.
Those were all maybe four or five year old at most systems.

Kenny James

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 03:44:02 AM »

In about a years time I've three SLX receivers do what you have described and all needed sent back to Shure.
Those were all maybe four or five year old at most systems.

Thanks for the response!

- So in your case, all 3 were bad receivers (not transmitters)? And all 3 would only show group/channel but no other lights or info?

- And if sending back to Shure, what can they do on old out-of-warranty products like this?

- Any other testing/troubleshooting I can do??

I've got a wedding coming up this Saturday that I need a wireless headset/lav for, and was just thinking the $60-70 in rental fee could go towards a used receiver so we'd at least have something towards the future. But if it wasn't the receiver, I'd then have 2 receivers w/ no good transmitter : /  It may be getting too late to get it done in time, though. Just seemed a shame to lose the rental fee on a one-time shot...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 06:08:00 AM »

In my case the receivers were the issue with the same symptoms you seem to have.
Since you do not have any other SLX equipment to double check your testing with I would
send both transmitter and receiver in just to be safe.

At this point Shure will still work on those systems provided they are not in the 600mhz or 700mhz operating frequency groups.

Kenny James

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 03:56:02 PM »

In my case the receivers were the issue with the same symptoms you seem to have.
Since you do not have any other SLX equipment to double check your testing with I would
send both transmitter and receiver in just to be safe.

At this point Shure will still work on those systems provided they are not in the 600mhz or 700mhz operating frequency groups.

Hmm, OK. What was your experience with sending the units in? Roughly how much do they charge for a receiver and about how long does the process take?

Thanks!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 03:57:25 AM »

Thanks for the response!

- So in your case, all 3 were bad receivers (not transmitters)? And all 3 would only show group/channel but no other lights or info?

- And if sending back to Shure, what can they do on old out-of-warranty products like this?

- Any other testing/troubleshooting I can do??

I've got a wedding coming up this Saturday that I need a wireless headset/lav for, and was just thinking the $60-70 in rental fee could go towards a used receiver so we'd at least have something towards the future. But if it wasn't the receiver, I'd then have 2 receivers w/ no good transmitter : /  It may be getting too late to get it done in time, though. Just seemed a shame to lose the rental fee on a one-time shot...

You have no chance of getting it back from Shure.  You would have been better off working with a dealer.  In any event, where are located?  I have QLC-D for rent (fully legal). 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 07:39:06 AM »

Depending on your location to and from Shure for repairs figure at least a couple weeks and a $150.

Your time window is closing to get something in place for this weekend.
Eating the rental will be cheap compared to looking unprepared and unprofessional to the client.

Kenny James

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 08:27:36 PM »

Depending on your location to and from Shure for repairs figure at least a couple weeks and a $150.

Your time window is closing to get something in place for this weekend.
Eating the rental will be cheap compared to looking unprepared and unprofessional to the client.

Hi, thanks for the continued help here. I have ordered the rental to cover this weekend (a ULXP14 for $60).

I would still like to look into seeing how to repair or replace the unit we have if not too expensive (maybe less than $125 or so).

I'll keep trying to reach Shure to get some input or seeking a functioning SLX somewhere in L.A. area that I can test with to see for sure which component it is.

- Does Shure charge a fee for even diagnosing, whether you decide to go forward with repair or not?

Didn't think there was any further testing I could do, but wanted to be sure as I don't use these very often (didn't know if any hidden 'diagnostics' or something).

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 07:42:45 PM »

It appears that the flat rate repair cost for any single SLX component is $124 based on Shure's current repair price list. In my experience with a variety of Shure mics and wireless gear over the years there is no repair or evaluation involved. You send them the broken units and pay the fee and they send you an almost new, probably refurbed replacement.  As you say without knowing which component is faulty you could still end up with a non-working RF mic system. That said again in my experience cheap wireless mics are a poor investment. Similar receiver & belt pack combos are going for a little over $100 on eBay which puts them in the expendables category for me. Put your money into a better used RF mic package.

https://www.shure.com/damfiles/default/global/support/us/service/Service_Fee_List.pdf-35c45aeeb8bbe5a3668651930c461e7d.pdf

I would still like to look into seeing how to repair or replace the unit we have if not too expensive (maybe less than $125 or so).

I'll keep trying to reach Shure to get some input or seeking a functioning SLX somewhere in L.A. area that I can test with to see for sure which component it is.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 07:42:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.