Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Box plans ASB6128V JBL

(1/3) > >>

todd kroeker:
I read the rules about reverse engineering a box after I posted this so let me re ask in the correct way. I have a pair of JBL 18s from the 6128V cabinet that need a home. I am quite capable of building my own box but feel they deserve what they were designed for since JBL has always been my favorite company since I was in my teens. (60 now... woo hoo !! lol.)

Can I purchase a cabinet from JBL? Does anyone have a web link to their support page that would have it?

While we are on the subject and I do respect designers of the cabinet and how they interact, If a cabinet isn't available or If I buy one from a guy named bill who has an empty one, that money doesn't get to the designer and if they are discontinued.
Is it bad to build one myself?

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: todd kroeker on February 17, 2021, 09:54:21 PM ---Can I purchase a cabinet from JBL?
--- End quote ---
Not at all likely.

--- Quote from: todd kroeker on February 17, 2021, 09:54:21 PM ---While we are on the subject and I do respect designers of the cabinet and how they interact, If a cabinet isn't available or If I buy one from a guy named bill who has an empty one, that money doesn't get to the designer and if they are discontinued.
--- End quote ---
Don't lose a micro second of sleep over it, they got their money when the box was sold originally so you don't owe them anything.

As for the box these came in, it was a V loaded reflex which really doesn't do anything useful for subwoofer applications(100hz and lower) so don't bother trying to copy that unless you want that look, the drivers will work the same in a standard reflex enclosure.

todd kroeker:

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on February 18, 2021, 09:55:06 AM --- Not at all likely.
Don't lose a micro second of sleep over it, they got their money when the box was sold originally so you don't owe them anything.

As for the box these came in, it was a V loaded reflex which really doesn't do anything useful for subwoofer applications(100hz and lower) so don't bother trying to copy that unless you want that look, the drivers will work the same in a standard reflex enclosure.

--- End quote ---

Thanks

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on February 18, 2021, 09:55:06 AM --- As for the box these came in, it was a V loaded reflex which really doesn't do anything useful for subwoofer applications(100hz and lower) so don't bother trying to copy that unless you want that look, the drivers will work the same in a standard reflex enclosure.

--- End quote ---
Paul,

The "V" loading does several useful things in a subwoofer application:
1) Puts the magnet structure heat sinks in the outside air, reducing power compression.
2) Provides additional air mass loading, increasing sensitivity across the entire pass band.
3) Allows a larger port area than a flat cabinet of the same frontal area with a smoother transition for the port, reducing turbulence, port compression and harmonic distortion.

Going with a bass reflex cabinet of that large volume, those advantages are worth considering.
That said, going that large, I'd be considering a folded or tapped horn.

Art

Paul G. OBrien:
Thanks Art some good points there, although all that doesn't seem to result in much of a sensitivity advantage going by the published response graph... the box is still only about 98dB@1w below 80hz. Like you say a single driver tapped horn would probably spank it pretty bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version