ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this laser too powerful for my house?  (Read 4615 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Is this laser too powerful for my house?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 03:34:35 PM »

I've always wanted to use lasers on stage but the dangers and lack of knowledge always stopped me.

Good news is that there are many other effects that can do a similar job. Moving lights have worked for that itch. Maybe a few Sharpies?

Actually an old video projector works as a fantastic substitute that is completely safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oComWw9XrNk&ab_channel=Siyoung

I've done this several times using https://www.musicbeam.org/
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 05:17:49 PM »

I was the first person to tell him not to use those lasers.  I didn't have time to explain why.  I guess I should have made the time, but I didn't want him blinding someone before I could explain why.  Now it seems like he doesn't want to hear or know why he should never use those.  What I would have suggested is the purchase of "safe" and inexpensive lasers to use for his party.  With a haze machine they are a great effect for a house party, are probably much less expensive that what Dave either already foolishly purchased (or was considering), and they have many effects already built in.  Blizzard, ADJ, Chauvet, and others (including Ebay) have such devices but even these need to be used safely.  The fact that anyone can buy high powered lasers on Ebay doesn't make them safe!  I can only hope Dave comes around and understands the forum members are not trying to stop him from having fun.  We were only trying to make certain he didn't hurt himself or someone else.  This was not a personal attack.  It was professional advice at his request.  I can only hope he heeds what has been given.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:22:21 PM by Don T. Williams »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 06:19:44 PM »

I've always wanted to use lasers on stage but the dangers and lack of knowledge always stopped me.

Good news is that there are many other effects that can do a similar job. Moving lights have worked for that itch. Maybe a few Sharpies?

I have a half-dozen Elation Sniper Pros in my personal inventory for just such occurrences.  With a 14R lamp, extremely fast scanning, assortment of prisms, and full-color CMY mixing they can pull off some impressive effects.  While obviously not a true laser they're safe to crowd scan with and fire into the sky - no variance or safety precautions needed.  Plenty of output for arena/amphitheater/stadium use too.  They're a neat substitute for when real lasers can't be used for cost or safety reasons...or if you just want a nice unique effect!

Dave jones1

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 09:00:25 PM »

I have decided to not purchase the laser after all. I have done a lot of reading and many people are advising against it and I don't want to worry all night during the party. Thank you for advising me on this

I have a question about an alternative.  I found one that contains a laser. The product description says

CLASS 2 SHOW LASER
"At the top of the bar, next to the two mushroom effects, is a class 2 show laser, which does not need to be registered, nor does one have to be a laser safety officer to use it. The laser produces a large number of red and green dots that move around the room"

Link to item https://www.steinigke.de/en/mpn51741094-eurolite-led-kls-laser-bar-next-fx-light-set.html

It says in the product description that its a class 2 laser which is safe. However in the specifications it says the lasers are 130mw.

After looking here https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html It says anything over 5mw is considered a class 3b laser.

So I am confused on how this works exactly. Why are they claiming its class 2? Is it because there are other specs that need to be taken into account other than just the mw?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 09:22:03 PM »

I have decided to not purchase the laser after all. I have done a lot of reading and many people are advising against it and I don't want to worry all night during the party. Thank you for advising me on this

I have a question about an alternative.  I found one that contains a laser. The product description says

CLASS 2 SHOW LASER
"At the top of the bar, next to the two mushroom effects, is a class 2 show laser, which does not need to be registered, nor does one have to be a laser safety officer to use it. The laser produces a large number of red and green dots that move around the room"

Link to item https://www.steinigke.de/en/mpn51741094-eurolite-led-kls-laser-bar-next-fx-light-set.html

It says in the product description that its a class 2 laser which is safe. However in the specifications it says the lasers are 130mw.

After looking here https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html It says anything over 5mw is considered a class 3b laser.

So I am confused on how this works exactly. Why are they claiming its class 2? Is it because there are other specs that need to be taken into account other than just the mw?

I don't know why they list it as class 2 and 130mw, but I would feel safe using this one for a party. Chances are it's 5mw and the specs are wrong.

You are making a wise choice. Make sure you have fog or haze to get the best out of this setup.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »

CLASS 2 SHOW LASER

Without knowing the details of that particular laser, there are one of 2 things.  1. they are lying. It's not really a class 2 laser, and the output exceeds the limit. Yes, there are a LOT of products out there that do that.

2. It's a 130mw source, but the beam is always split into multiple beams and no single beam exceeds the class 2 output.

Regardless, with lasers, the best practice is NEVER direct them into a crowd unless you know with 100% certainty that they are safe to use, and have multiple failsafes in place to prevent injuring someone.  Lasers in they eye can cause small pinpoint damage to the retina that may not be noticeable at first, but each pinpoint of damage will add up.  It takes surprisingly little power for a direct hit to do this damage.

Also, class 2 laser beams are, well, pretty boring without a significant amount of fog or haze.  You're honestly going to get way more bang for your buck using traditional lights.  And, even boring class 2 lasers are annoying as hell when they flash you in the eye.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.