ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this laser too powerful for my house?  (Read 4659 times)

Dave jones1

Re: Is this laser too powerful for my house?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »

Does it really take such professionals to operate a laser though ?  So to operate a simple piece of equipment I need to have a degree in lasers? I feel as if all these professionals are here to discourage people in using lasers to make their job feel more exclusive and more important. I can see why professionals get offended when a simple everyday guy buys a professional laser for home use.  They want their job to be validated by scaring others away from using lasers to give the impression that only professionals  are allowed to use lasers. Its quite sad really, maybe these professionals should find another career if they are so protective over their precious lasers.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »

There are regulations for eveything.  If every single regulation was followed, no parties or events would exist. Sowmrimes its better to live life rather than follow every single tiny regulation.

Its quite sad really, maybe these professionals should find another career if they are so protective over their precious lasers.

The fact that you would make such statements to a community of professionals, online, using your (supposedly) real name is all the proof I need to say that you are wholly unqualified to ever handle any equipment that concerns life safety. 

Scott already vouched for the pedigree of the community here.  I don't feel the need to state my credentials here nor explain why I'd be qualified to speak about event safety - to the pubic or in your house for that matter - but since your demeanor is one of sheer recklessness I feel obliged to elaborate since safety is a core value to me and my crews...

I am an accomplished lead pyrotechnician responsible for discharging some of the largest outdoor displays in the state.  The safety of people numbering in the hundreds of thousands rests solely on me.  I follow the regulations - every. single. one.  In many cases I opt to exceed the minimum requirements where I feel appropriate based on my experience and the firing techniques of my choosing.  Licensing and legalities aside I feel a strong moral obligation to put on the absolute safest display possible each and every time.  Life-changing accidents happen in a split-second and I refuse to live with causing such a tragedy because there was something I could have done better. 

Sadly there are many examples of pyrotechnics (and lasers) gone wrong, but I'm sure the victims understand that the operator felt it was better to just "live life" rather than worry, right?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 10:59:15 PM »

Does it really take such professionals to operate a laser though ?  So to operate a simple piece of equipment I need to have a degree in lasers? I feel as if all these professionals are here to discourage people in using lasers to make their job feel more exclusive and more important. I can see why professionals get offended when a simple everyday guy buys a professional laser for home use.  They want their job to be validated by scaring others away from using lasers to give the impression that only professionals  are allowed to use lasers. Its quite sad really, maybe these professionals should find another career if they are so protective over their precious lasers.

Take your dimwit comments and go troll somewhere else.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »

The cool factor of a laser also makes the distance from the audience irrelevant.
The light beam is effectively zero degrees, so loses NO power over distance.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave jones1

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 05:35:40 AM »

Take your dimwit comments and go troll somewhere else.

Not really. I came here seeking help from these so called "professionals" about the safest way and best way to operate one of these lasers. Instead of that, the only responses I get are the fan boys saying "don't use it". Imagine if that is how everybody lived their life. There are many risky and dangerous things in life, but people do it anyway. Simply not doing something just because it poses some risks isn't a reason not to do it. There are safe and unsafe ways to do things. For example just look at any type of extreme outdoor activity or extreme sport. Would you tell everybody not to do these just because they have risks ? No you would offer advice and help that person do it in the safest possible way. You wouldn't simply say "don't do any extreme sports or outdoor activities". Another example is alcohol. There are safe and unsafe ways to drink. Instead of simply saying "don't drink" you would instead explain how to drink safely.

Anyway I have been able to find the information I need myself now by emailing the laser company. So here is the solution for anybody needing actual advice and help. With the Laserworld laser its possible to adjust the brightness of all the lasers individually and setup safety zones. So to do this safely a safety zone can be setup for the lower part of the audience which will dramatically reduce the power of the lasers on the lower part. While keeping the lasers with more power on the upper part . Also the overall powerful of all the lasers can be reduced so it can be taken down from 1000mw to a much lower value.

So this super dangerous laser can be changed into soemrbing much safer and less powerful with some  basic settings. You see ? Actual useful information which I can apply. Its shame all these so called professionals were not able to suggest anything like this. These guys are really defensive abiut their job and I'm guessing probably don't like it when somebody with no experience can pretty much do the same thing as them

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 06:21:06 AM »

Not really. I came here seeking help from these so called "professionals" about the safest way and best way to operate one of these lasers. Instead of that, the only responses I get are the fan boys saying "don't use it".

Yes - you asked a question, got a unanimous response, didn't like it, and are going to carry on anyways...  I'm not going to waste time arguing about implied risk since you can't fix stupid, but for the benefit of those who use this site as a valuable resource I feel the obligation to correct many of the misconceptions you have.

...a safety zone can be setup for the lower part of the audience which will dramatically reduce the power of the lasers on the lower part. While keeping the lasers with more power on the upper part . Also the overall powerful of all the lasers can be reduced so it can be taken down from 1000mw to a much lower value.

Absolutely not.  That isn't how laser power works.  Proper safety zones function by either outright masking or the use of a diffraction filter.  This should NOT be interpreted as a safe means for audience scanning.  Safe audience scanning with lasers takes many more factors into account such as scan speed and beam persistence.  This is not a trivial excise and is only permissible in very specific instances.  Beam "power" constantly varies and is not a direct correlation to the safety of anything once you get beyond 5mW.

So this super dangerous laser can be changed into soemrbing much safer and less powerful with some  basic settings. You see ?

Nope.  What you are doing is blatantly illegal, not to mention reckless.  Steve already pointed you to the relevant FDA literature on how to approach lasers safely and also gave you suggestions on safer products that can be used instead.  You have ignored both comments.  Additionally, Laserworld has been accused of poor quality control particularly concerning the IR energy being emitted from their products.  They also lack basic safety features required for compliance with FDA regulations.  Whatever advice they gave you is either outright wrong or was misinterpreted by you - probably a mix of both.  I hope you're still having fun "proving us wrong" when you join the tattooed retina club!

Matthias McCready

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »

There are many risky and dangerous things in life, but people do it anyway.

Yep, and in a past life I used to treat those people in the Emergency Department  ;D ;D ;D

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »

I know when I went to see Jean Michel Jarre in Cardiff they had the top section of seating closed off because of laser safety.
Professional/higher power laser effects are for professionals only, and that's for a very good reason. Lasers can and will blind you.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 02:01:21 PM »

Make sure you have everyone sign a waiver at the door showing they understand that they could be blinded, and accept that risk.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »

I've always wanted to use lasers on stage but the dangers and lack of knowledge always stopped me.

Good news is that there are many other effects that can do a similar job. Moving lights have worked for that itch. Maybe a few Sharpies?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.