ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this laser too powerful for my house?  (Read 4663 times)

Dave jones1

Is this laser too powerful for my house?
« on: February 17, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »

I am looking at two different lasers

https://www.beamzlighting.com/product/pandora-600-ttl-laser-rgb/
Red 200mW @ 650nm
Green 50mW @ 532nm
Blue 150mW @ 447nm

And https://www.laserworld.com/en/laserworld-ds/laserworld-ds-1000rgb.html#detail_desc

Red 200 mW / 638 nm
Green 140 mW / 520 nm
Blue 700 mW / 450 nm

Its only going to be used for house parties in a room of around 40 Square meters and people will be standing around 4 meters away from it. The second one looks like it could be too powerful for what I need. The reason I am considering the second one is because I was told that it can produce more colors because the first one is   TTL laser and I have been told that a TTL laser is not as good.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Is this laser too powerful for my house?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »

Your displayed name must be your real full name to post on the forum.  Please see the forum rules.  That said - DON'T USE THOSE!!!!!

Dave jones1

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 06:17:01 PM »

Your displayed name must be your real full name to post on the forum.  Please see the forum rules.  That said - DON'T USE THOSE!!!!!

I changed the name now. Why not use these lasers ? I've seen some videos and they look pretty good

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:26:23 PM »

I changed the name now. Why not use these lasers ? I've seen some videos and they look pretty good

They'll look great until you go blind.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave jones1

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 06:32:37 PM »

They'll look great until you go blind.

Isnt that like any laser at any event though? These ones say they are for small parties so I imagine they are much less powerful than a laser at a proper event.

Is it because of the distance ? Since I'll only be around 3 or 4meters away. I understand at an event people are usually much further away.

I can keep the Beamz one which Is less powerful but I miss out on the full color range of the other one then. I imagine on the software I could just turn down the power of the laser though?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »

Isnt that like any laser at any event though? These ones say they are for small parties so I imagine they are much less powerful than a laser at a proper event.

Is it because of the distance ? Since I'll only be around 3 or 4meters away. I understand at an event people are usually much further away.

I can keep the Beamz one which Is less powerful but I miss out on the full color range of the other one then. I imagine on the software I could just turn down the power of the laser though?

Asking what you are asking is an indication that you don't have any awareness of FDA regulations regarding LASER Emissions for entertainment.

Look here sir:  https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/home-business-and-entertainment-products/laser-light-shows

To answer your question - yes, way too powerful and extremely dangerous.

Dave jones1

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »

Asking what you are asking is an indication that you don't have any awareness of FDA regulations regarding LASER Emissions for entertainment.

Look here sir:  https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/home-business-and-entertainment-products/laser-light-shows

To answer your question - yes, way too powerful and extremely dangerous.

There are regulations for eveything.  If every single regulation was followed, no parties or events would exist. Sowmrimes its better to live life rather than follow every single tiny regulation. And regulations are usually very over cautious and don't reflect real life values. I am only doing small house parties with a few people. And looking for the best way to do this. Simply saying not to use a laser is not really a useful answer. It would be more useful to guide me on making it safe or offering an alternative laser with different power. What kind of power would be recommended for a house party of the size I mentioned ? I was also looking at cheaper lasers which are less powerful but don't seem to produce the same effects

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »

There are regulations for eveything.  If every single regulation was followed, no parties or events would exist. Sowmrimes its better to live life rather than follow every single tiny regulation. And regulations are usually very over cautious and don't reflect real life values. I am only doing small house parties with a few people. And looking for the best way to do this. Simply saying not to use a laser is not really a useful answer. It would be more useful to guide me on making it safe or offering an alternative laser with different power. What kind of power would be recommended for a house party of the size I mentioned ? I was also looking at cheaper lasers which are less powerful but don't seem to produce the same effects

Well, you asked and we answered. It's now up to you.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 07:45:13 PM »

This site is frequented by experienced professionals.  Notice nobody stepped up and told you "how to".  Consider if you were asking on how to create home made pyrotechnic devices.  Nobody would tell you for a myriad of reasons, liability, lawfulness, etc.  But the main reason would be ethical in nature - 99.99% chance you would injure yourself and others.

The info I provided is the nuts and bolts of it and is fairly straight forward.  Not playing games with you.  The lighting devices you inquired about are dangerous and can cause blindness from a very short exposure.  There is no way that type of equipment can be operated safely or ethically in a home setting by an inexperienced operator and no experienced professional would even entertain the idea.

Look at something like a Chauvet Scorpion Storm FX and maybe some kind of Faze or Haze to go with it.  I use them angled upwards onto the ceiling and they look good.  Also perhaps a couple of small moving head lights such as the Intimidator.  Hit a mirrored ball with a couple of 25W moving head lights and it's spectacular.

We are collectively recommending you stay away from higher powered lasers.  They require licensing and cannot be legally operated less that 10' over a dancing area and a host of other requirements on distance and rigging.

You can build up a nice light show that's both safe for your patrons and legal to operate.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:56:30 PM by Steve-White »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »

You login to a professional forum consisting of some of the most experienced folks in the world working on tours for artists you have heard on and expect them to emotionally validate you risking your friends eye sites at your house party.  Is something wrong with you?

Either that or you are just schilling for the vendor to spam the URL's to this forum.

In any event, this is utter foolishness.

No, not everyone breaks the rules. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.