ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULX-D power level  (Read 4529 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Shure ULX-D power level
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 02:39:51 AM »

"PARP"? I think you might mean PAPR, Peak to Average Power Ratio (maybe a language translation thing)? I'm not certain, but I don't believe PAPR has much relevancy in a single carrier system, such as that used in digital wireless microphones (be it Shure, Sennheiser, Zaxcom or anybody else's). PAPR is a metric usually applied to multi-carrier transmission schemes such as LTE in which there are multiple subcarriers and it's important to know the average subcarrier peak power as compared to the overall composite power level witihn the emissions mask (e.g. OFDM). How did you arrive at 5dB for the AD?

In a single carrier digital emissions system, it is important to know the mean power level; that power spread across the occupied channel bandwidth (165kHz in the case of the ULXD).

It almost justifies having a control channel on the RX back to the TX.  Power could be dynamically adjusted to maintain the selected BER?  I can think of many uses for a low bandwidth shared control channel. 

Probably just my brain trying to adapt LMR tech to production.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 03:21:57 AM »

It almost justifies having a control channel on the RX back to the TX.  Power could be dynamically adjusted to maintain the selected BER?  I can think of many uses for a low bandwidth shared control channel. 

Probably just my brain trying to adapt LMR tech to production.

I mean, Shure Axient has been doing that with ShowLink (2.4 GHz-based) since the FM days. I don't think it'll do dynamic TX power adjustment, though (although it can do automatic frequency reassignment, which is pretty nifty).

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 03:15:22 AM »

I mean, Shure Axient has been doing that with ShowLink (2.4 GHz-based) since the FM days. I don't think it'll do dynamic TX power adjustment, though (although it can do automatic frequency reassignment, which is pretty nifty).

-Russ

That is nice. Axient is just a hair above our pair grade.  We thought we hit pay dirt when we went from SLX to QLXD.  Reminds me a couple of years ago at NAMM we stopped by the Lectrosonics booth to meet Karl and he showed us his latest gear and the software and treated us better than Shure ever has and we are dealers! Even gave us some passes that got us into an event with Scovill and great catering.  If I ever do get to that level I would rather give Lectrosonics my business just based on that interaction.  I did a quick look and could find if Lectrosonics has a similar feature.

That brings an interesting question, I just looked at the back panel of the Axient because I remembered you could cascade them.  If they have a control channel that mean they have a duplexer.  I can't see how that could be cascaded.

Thanks Russ

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 03:37:52 AM »

{...} That brings an interesting question, I just looked at the back panel of the Axient because I remembered you could cascade them.  If they have a control channel that mean they have a duplexer.  I can't see how that could be cascaded. {...}

On the "fixed" end ShowLink uses completely separate infrastructure from the audio. To make ShowLink work, in addition to the usual compliment of networked RXs, you need one or more networked ShowLink access points, which are PoE-powered and can be upgraded with directional antennas. Each access point supports up 16 TXs, and TXs will happily roam between access points.

As far as duplexing, I think cascading RXs would be the least of the problems. I'm pretty sure none of the "normal" Shure UHF antennas will do anything useful at 2.4 GHz (which is probably for the best), and most of them are active to boot (does Shure even make a passive LPDA?).

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 03:53:13 AM »

On the "fixed" end ShowLink uses completely separate infrastructure from the audio. To make ShowLink work, in addition to the usual compliment of networked RXs, you need one or more networked ShowLink access points, which are PoE-powered and can be upgraded with directional antennas. Each access point supports up 16 TXs, and TXs will happily roam between access points.

As far as duplexing, I think cascading RXs would be the least of the problems. I'm pretty sure none of the "normal" Shure UHF antennas will do anything useful at 2.4 GHz (which is probably for the best), and most of them are active to boot (does Shure even make a passive LPDA?).

-Russ

That makes perfect sense, thanks again. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »

The new version of the Showlink access point has duplex antennas and supports 24 TXs.

(does Shure even make a passive LPDA?).
Yes, the PA805. 

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »

{...} Yes, the PA805.

Ah, right, of course. In my defence, Shure primarily sells this as an IEM accessory... :P

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.