ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multicore cable  (Read 2520 times)

Joel T. Glaser

Multicore cable
« on: February 09, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »

Hi all.

I'm purchasing a digital stage box to use with my digital mixer for shows I have coming up this summer. I've been thinking about using a multicore cable to run power (120v AC), data (cat5 or better) and DMX (110ohm signal).

I can't seem to find anything like this premade, so I've located bulk cable from Penn Elcom here:

LINKY
Curious if anyone has used/built a snake like this. Any thoughts?

Any ideas of where I can find this already assembled in 100' or more lengths?

Thanks! - Joel
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:47:05 AM by Mac Kerr »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Multicore cable
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »

I had one built by Link complete with LKG multiconnectors in the doghouse and stagerack.

Link USA, Inc.
8001 Terrace Avenue Ste. 203A
Middleton, WI 53562 USA
Phone/Fax: +1 855-433-5465
E-mail [email protected]

Daniel Levi

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 01:32:25 PM »

Not used their multicores myself but Sommer Cable are another option.
www.sommer-cable.com

James Cotton

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 05:08:13 AM »

Curious if anyone has used/built a snake like this. Any thoughts?

I use that cable for digital stage box and small venue FOH runs and the bigger one with 2.5mm power for longer runs to powered mains.
It's great but gets heavy real quick (especially the 2.5mm variant) so for anything of any appreciable length I'd suggest having it figure 8'd into a container of some sort.
My 1.5mm 35m FOH run FIG8s nicely into a packing crate.
The 2.5mm 20m length is coiled, I wouldn't want to handle anything longer than this unless it was FIG8'd into a flght case.

If you're running 120v be aware that 1.5mm power is the equivalent of 16AWG so you might want to work out your loads and calculate voltage drop.
The 2.5mm is 14AWG so may be more appropriate if you're using it for a FOH run.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 07:22:40 AM »

Here's a bit more info (but not enough, IMO) from the manufacturer:

http://syntaxcables.valentiniinternational.it/sito/schedaprodotto.php?id=13

You may try Entertainment Manufacturing for assemblies.  I know they do Syntax connectors, so they are likely able to get the cable as well.  As someone else said, the other option is to try Link USA for other cable types and configurations.

If this is a single circuit 120V FOH run, this would not be the cable I'd be looking at - the power leads are simply too small (approx 15 AWG).  Even if you had a perfect, solid 120V source, the voltage drop alone could cause issues with a full 15-20A current draw.

Personally?  E-tape the appropriate gauge power (I'd go 10/3 SO), and the appropriate number of data and signal cables together.  Likely less expensive, you can easily DIY, and also easily repair if/when it gets damaged.  It's also not as expensive - that price from Penn-Elcom is either per foot or per meter.

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:02:21 AM »

Thank you all for the info. Much appreciated!

In doing more research, I think Eurocable 2CAT6SF 12/3 AD2 is more what I'm looking for. 12 AWG power. Two cat and two data sets. Should be adequate to run 100 or so feet and power a 15 - 20 amp circuit. Having two cat and two dmx lines would give me spares.

I found some really nice rack connections and ways of terminating multicore, at Link USA, but I'm afraid that would make this thing WAY too expensive to justify.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward bundling my own. The Eurocable multicore is about $12.50/foot. That's going to be $1250.00 for a 100 foot run. YIKES!! A bit more than I was hoping to spend. I already have a bulk roll of 12AWG, black SJOOW cable that should still have more than enough left on it, I could buy a pair of 100', decent quality DMX cables, a pair of 100' CAT5 or better cables AND a cable reel for less money.

Like everyone in this business, I'm struggling from last year and praying that this year actually pans out!!

Thank you again for the input! Off to find DMX and Cat cable.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »

DMX should be perfectly happy running down CAT6 cable.  One run will do 4 universes for you.

GTD

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »

We went down this road and ended up taping looms together.  It's more cost effective, easier to repair, and more future proof.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 23 queries.