ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless lav audio problems  (Read 5834 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: Wireless lav audio problems
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 12:36:12 AM »

Oooh, that's a nasty one. (Going to add that to my list!) Is this issue closely related enough to "key test" performance to be able to test for it?

-Russ

It is closely related, but I think we'd need a sustained constant tone to really crush the comp section and disrupt the pilot.  It's ironic that Wisycom's woes with this are the result of a reason they sound so good under most conditions; extended high end.  FWIW, it's only a problem with certain capsules that reproduce significant HF above ~18 kHz (educated guess).  Rumor has it that their latest firmware lowers the front end LPF freq a bit to solve it.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 02:49:43 AM »

It is closely related, but I think we'd need a sustained constant tone to really crush the comp section and disrupt the pilot.  It's ironic that Wisycom's woes with this are the result of a reason they sound so good under most conditions; extended high end.  FWIW, it's only a problem with certain capsules that reproduce significant HF above ~18 kHz (educated guess).  Rumor has it that their latest firmware lowers the front end LPF freq a bit to solve it.

Makes me wonder how other gear fares against that kind of thing. Of course to test it, the first challenge would be finding a device that can consistently produce those sorts of sustained, constant tones! (I mean, I'm sure Digi-Key has that covered, but I don't think I have anything lying around that'd do the job.)

-Russ

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 09:41:32 AM »

We see this all the time where I am currently working. We have hundreds of conference rooms worldwide that we connect to from our NY studio. By default all the installations have the audience reaction system on, which uses an 18k tone to locate users in the room to aim cameras. That tone makes it back to me through the desk mics around the conference table, and they do trigger dynamics processing both in my console and in Zoom. Fortunately my coworker Alex can remote control any system in the corporate network. At this point we have most of them turned off.

Mac

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »

Hi Matt,

Keith's question has been asked more than once here, because it's an important one to answer.

Also check the troublesome locations for ultrasonic emitters, which are often used for motion sensing automated energy-saver light switches and security systems.  Although I haven't heard of them specifically causing problems with Sony equipment, they can theoretically wreak havoc on TX companders, and are known to cause issues with some older Wisycom hardware+firmware pilot tone squelch circuits.

In addition to knowing about background RF levels with the transmitters turned off I wonder if
the receiver audio level meters would show the ultrasonic pick up level (if any) with the transmitters
turned on and mics connected.

Matt Hill

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »

In addition to knowing about background RF levels with the transmitters turned off I wonder if
the receiver audio level meters would show the ultrasonic pick up level (if any) with the transmitters
turned on and mics connected.

Sorry I missed the RF meters question - yes, the receiver is showing about 2 bars (out of 6) of activity on the RF meter with the transmitters off. This is the same when at my studio though, which produces great audio.
We definitely have automated energy-saver light switches in most locations including the library in question. We also have them at the studio, but not as many.
Any ideas for fixes or workarounds if this is the problem?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »

Sorry I missed the RF meters question - yes, the receiver is showing about 2 bars (out of 6) of activity on the RF meter with the transmitters off. This is the same when at my studio though, which produces great audio.
We definitely have automated energy-saver light switches in most locations including the library in question. We also have them at the studio, but not as many.
Any ideas for fixes or workarounds if this is the problem?

We may be getting somewhere.

Does the receiver audio level meters show any level in the library with the transmitters on, mics plugged and with the library quiet?

Matt Hill

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »

We may be getting somewhere.

Does the receiver audio level meters show any level in the library with the transmitters on, mics plugged and with the library quiet?

No, none at all...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »

OK.....
Is it possible to power off the access points in the library?

Or for that matter power down the entire library at some time?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.