ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: propagation, permeability  (Read 799 times)

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
propagation, permeability
« on: January 29, 2021, 04:31:47 AM »

Hi gurus,

I know, generally speaking, RF waves can travel through non conductive materials, while is blocked by metal, water ecc.

1) Is there a reference table reporting coefficient of permeability of different materials?

2) I can't find reference of reflective vs absorption properties. I mean: is wave energy just divided in refracted and reflected? Or, as with sound wave, some materials have absorption (energy conversion) properties?

Thanks!

LOUDER! - illustrated history of audio and live show evolution. http://www.patreon.com/gianlucacavallini

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: propagation, permeability
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »

Hi gurus,

I know, generally speaking, RF waves can travel through non conductive materials, while is blocked by metal, water ecc.

1) Is there a reference table reporting coefficient of permeability of different materials?

2) I can't find reference of reflective vs absorption properties. I mean: is wave energy just divided in refracted and reflected? Or, as with sound wave, some materials have absorption (energy conversion) properties?

I don't know of a comprehensive catalog or table of attenuation vs frequency vs material type, but a search for "rf attenuation various materials" returned a number of results for testing various sets of materials, mostly building products, as well as purpose manufactured shielding materials.

If you're looking for test results of textiles, I can say categorically chainmail jackets are not very RF permeable below about 180GHz  ::)
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »

Hi gurus,

Thanks!

This answer on the Electrical Engineer Stack Exchange might start you down the right path.

Basically, it's complicated. Even saying that RF waves are "blocked" by metal and water isn't quite accurate (although it's a pragmatic assumption). The electromagnetic absorption characteristics of water are state-dependent. Many metals are quite conductive (hence why we use them in RF cabling), but the boundary between air and metal can cause significant reflections (which will look like "blocking") depending on the shape and size of the object in question: if the object is small enough or has large enough holes (relative to wavelength) then the waves will largely refract around (which is why UHF radios work better indoors than, say, CB), and if the object is just the right size (again, relative to wavelength) then there will be little-to-no reflection and transmittance will occur instead (i.e. an antenna). All of which is to say that the "blocking" effect of a particular material has as much to do with its surroundings as with the material itself.

(For what it's worth, the term "permeability" in this context usually refers to magnetic permeability, which doesn't necessarily help with electromagnetic characteristics, or rather, not at UHF frequencies anyway.)

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.