Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Has any DJ here tried any Bass Enhancers?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on January 22, 2021, 12:05:09 PM ---Good question you pose - I'll keep a watch on the thread just for curiosity on what others are doing these days.  With all the powered stuff out there with built in processing I would suspect not much usage.  However, I've seen setups that were way over the top for signal manipulation and there are probably a few of those out there.  :)

--- End quote ---

Yeah seems most folks opt to use the included Subharmonics in Powered Speakers or Digital Processors these days instead of Hardware. At any rate though, if memory serves those DBX units were used to lower the bass frequency and not enhance? I think the BBE units might have been used more for enhancing but I never used one of those.

John L Nobile:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on January 22, 2021, 01:22:17 PM ---Yeah seems most folks opt to use the included Subharmonics in Powered Speakers or Digital Processors these days instead of Hardware. At any rate though, if memory serves those DBX units were used to lower the bass frequency and not enhance? I think the BBE units might have been used more for enhancing but I never used one of those.

--- End quote ---

I used to have a BBE unit in the 90's. The bass enhance was useless. It just muddied things up.

I always thought of those DBX 120's as something to add bass that wasn't there. That was an issue with older recordings but there's a TON of low end on modern trax. If you need more bass in the mix, turn up the subs or the bass instruments. I would think that using one of these FX to add more bass that you can get with a system might damage your speakers.

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on January 22, 2021, 01:40:26 PM ---I used to have a BBE unit in the 90's. The bass enhance was useless. It just muddied things up.

I always thought of those DBX 120's as something to add bass that wasn't there. That was an issue with older recordings but there's a TON of low end on modern trax. If you need more bass in the mix, turn up the subs or the bass instruments. I would think that using one of these FX to add more bass that you can get with a system might damage your speakers.

--- End quote ---

I am not seeking to add more bass on my system or get deeper bass, got lots of it. Was just curious about enhancers and what they do. Actually it was speaker cabinet builder who had told me short while back that the BBE and Aural Exciters adds better tonal tonal quality to bass.

Personally I think the old school way to put an Eq separately on the bass is as good as anything but question is, does it really make any difference than from having an Eq between the Mixer and Crossover?

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on January 22, 2021, 04:17:07 PM ---I am not seeking to add more bass on my system or get deeper bass, got lots of it. Was just curious about enhancers and what they do. Actually it was speaker cabinet builder who had told me short while back that the BBE and Aural Exciters adds better tonal tonal quality to bass.

Personally I think the old school way to put an Eq separately on the bass is as good as anything but question is, does it really make any difference than from having an Eq between the Mixer and Crossover?

--- End quote ---

You can't get deeper bass from a speaker that can't reproduce deeper bass in the first place.
Your average off shelf decent single 18 is only going down to a useful 40hz give or take a little,
if your bass enhancer box tells it to do 20hz while rocking out things are going to break after a while.

Helge A Bentsen:
DBX 120A as an fx insert was fun, but it put stress on the drivers.
If you want to rock it and not kill your subs, look at the Waves MaxxBCL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version