Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Has any DJ here tried any Bass Enhancers?

<< < (4/4)

Tracy Garner:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on January 22, 2021, 09:22:12 AM ---Any of you DJ's here ever tried any Bass Enhancers and can give your feedback on them please?

Many years ago I had owned a couple of the dbx 120 Subharmonics units. I can;t remember which of the models [120a, 120x, 120xp or the 120x-ds] i had owned. I am now seeing there is a 510 model too. I have also been told that units like the BBE models help give the bass a nice tone.

--- End quote ---

Big reggae systems, Go Go Bands, house and dance music - vinyl, CDs, and now MP3 experience.

Use this scale of 1 to 10 for worst to best

Bass enhancer will make a 1 system sound like a 5 at best.
Bass enhancer will make a 6 system sound like a 5 at best.
Bass enhancer will make a 10 system sound like a 5 at best.

Suddenko:
Building a nightclub sound system around heavy Subharmonic Synthesis is interesting, if done with the right genre of music.  Steve Dash did this with his installs at Twilo/Crobar NYC.  The sound wasn’t at all accurate to the source, but it left quite the impression on many people who’ve attended, me included.  The brand new subharmonic content resulted in a very unique vibe.  It’s been 15 years since the clubs closed and I still run into people who will say “There’s nothing like a Phazon Sound system!”

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Suddenko on November 13, 2021, 05:18:54 PM ---Building a nightclub sound system around heavy Subharmonic Synthesis is interesting

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Tracy Garner:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on January 22, 2021, 09:22:12 AM ---Any of you DJ's here ever tried any Bass Enhancers and can give your feedback on them please?

Many years ago I had owned a couple of the dbx 120 Subharmonics units. I can;t remember which of the models [120a, 120x, 120xp or the 120x-ds] i had owned. I am now seeing there is a 510 model too. I have also been told that units like the BBE models help give the bass a nice tone.

--- End quote ---

Scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best:
If your system is a 1, bass enhancer will improve your bass to a 2
If your system is a 5, the bass enhancer will not enhance it.
If your system is a 7, the bass enhancer will make your system sound like a 5 (or less).

If I have a guest DJ, I go straight from their DJ mixer to the BBE to a channel on the board. The reason is because it gives the DJ that 'nice tone' that kind of sounds like the mixer in the red. Then when the DJ really cranks their mixer, the BBE acts as the best limiter ever and prevents the system from overdriving the console input.

Hope this helps,
tracy

Randy Pence:

--- Quote from: Suddenko on November 13, 2021, 05:18:54 PM ---Building a nightclub sound system around heavy Subharmonic Synthesis is interesting, if done with the right genre of music.  Steve Dash did this with his installs at Twilo/Crobar NYC.  The sound wasn’t at all accurate to the source, but it left quite the impression on many people who’ve attended, me included.  The brand new subharmonic content resulted in a very unique vibe.  It’s been 15 years since the clubs closed and I still run into people who will say “There’s nothing like a Phazon Sound system!”

--- End quote ---

I worked with Dash from 2000 to 2003 and we never used subharmonic synthesizers during that time. That included Twilo, Arc, Shelter, Crobar Miami. RLA style analog dj crossovers, bss, rane, or klark technik processing for typical delay, eq, xover, limiters were used, but no enhancement effects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version