Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Has any DJ here tried any Bass Enhancers?

(1/4) > >>

Mike Henderson:
Any of you DJ's here ever tried any Bass Enhancers and can give your feedback on them please?

Many years ago I had owned a couple of the dbx 120 Subharmonics units. I can;t remember which of the models [120a, 120x, 120xp or the 120x-ds] i had owned. I am now seeing there is a 510 model too. I have also been told that units like the BBE models help give the bass a nice tone.

Steve-White:
Not to come in and crap up your thread sir.  I've messed around with a few in demo rooms and a couple of club installs that had dbx units years ago.  In the grand scheme of things, no hauling anything but what ya need and over time evolving the PA's themselves - I don't use them and won't use them.

A good PA (Playback System) stands on it's own merit and that's been my approach.  That being stated, I'm a bit more that a single entity DJ show - now the DJ systems are a part of the overall operation.  Processing I have used was back in the vinyl days Phase Linear auto correlators which provided ~4db dynamic range expansion.  When setup correctly they sounded pretty good for vinyl.  Also use compressors for talk-overs or ducking to make clean announcements without completely muting music program.

In dance music the LF energy is there - it takes a system that can pump it out there night after night - in the end it's the cost of amps and subs.

Mike Henderson:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on January 22, 2021, 11:17:31 AM ---Not to come in and crap up your thread sir.  I've messed around with a few in demo rooms and a couple of club installs that had dbx units years ago.  In the grand scheme of things, no hauling anything but what ya need and over time evolving the PA's themselves - I don't use them and won't use them.

A good PA (Playback System) stands on it's own merit and that's been my approach.  That being stated, I'm a bit more that a single entity DJ show - now the DJ systems are a part of the overall operation.  Processing I have used was back in the vinyl days Phase Linear auto correlators which provided ~4db dynamic range expansion.  When setup correctly they sounded pretty good for vinyl.  Also use compressors for talk-overs or ducking to make clean announcements without completely muting music program.

In dance music the LF energy is there - it takes a system that can pump it out there night after night - in the end it's the cost of amps and subs.

--- End quote ---

Yeah when I had used them back then it was with a vinyl system.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Mike Henderson on January 22, 2021, 11:27:17 AM ---Yeah when I had used them back then it was with a vinyl system.

--- End quote ---

i have a couple of dbx DriveRack PA2's in the studio and den music systems that are playback systems and messed around with the sub synth in the den a little and ended up defeating it.  The den system had 4 x JBL 2245's in a pair if MD7 enclosures, so no lack of bottom end capability.  For music during the day it's on MC DirecTV which has limited bandwidth from processing which is why I started playing around in the first place.  If I want to rock, just play a CD.

Good question you pose - I'll keep a watch on the thread just for curiosity on what others are doing these days.  With all the powered stuff out there with built in processing I would suspect not much usage.  However, I've seen setups that were way over the top for signal manipulation and there are probably a few of those out there.  :)

Dennis Wiggins:
Read the previous post: "On The Turning Away" (from unpowered speakers)

-Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version